When a download is started(However small) cable internet slows to a crawl

Perpetualbuffer
Grasshopper

Hello, We have cable internet and it is:

Up to 1 Gbps download speeds

Up to 150 Mbps upload speeds

Model:TG4482A
Vendor:ARRIS Group, Inc.

I have verified these speeds over ethernet and Wifi as well. However. When anyone initiates a download of something, even simply watching a youtube video or streaming, the entire internet slows to a crawl for all devices and videos begin lagging, stuttering, and even local intranet services/programs for streaming(Say Moonlight or Parsec) terminate or give warnings about lowering bitrate, if they don't outright disconnect with error messages.

I for the life of me cannot figure out why this is happening. This was never an issue before and started around the middle of September this year. Our ISP has been out twice now and will return again on Tuesday because I am at my wits end. I could even understand if it were something big like a game download, but it's anything, however little bandwidth.

I purchased an Asus GT-AXE16000 router as well thinking maybe it was QOS or the ISP modem/router combo unit that was the issue, but the same issue persisted. Then we swapped modems with the ISP for a new one, same issue.

The internet speeds are also not consistent. And I mean even when no one else is home. I will run a speed test and get 700MBps or whatever and 105MBps upload. Then literally the next immediate run or 5 minutes later, it'll be 20MBps download and 3MBps upload. Even just browsing the internet(like on here), it's like being on dial up sometimes. Youtube straight up takes upwards of 15 seconds to load a page, same with other media heavy sites.

Labels (2)
Who Me Too'd this topic