If you have purchased a Shaw HD Digital Box, HD PVR, or Gateway system you may find that you need to change the resolution of the system so that it matches your television's capabilities. This guide will explain to you the proper procedure for doing so in order to ensure that you get the best viewing experience from your Shaw equipment.
For more information on how to change the resolution settings of your Shaw digital box, please select the type of equipment you have and follow the instructions below.
Did You Know?
If you have a BlueSky TV digital box, you can use the voice remote to browse to "Settings" or "Preferences" to access various settings including.
Learn More: BlueSky TV Settings
Motorola digital box
Follow these instructions to change the resolution settings on your Motorola cable box.
- Power on your television set and ensure that your Digital Box is currently powered off
- Push the SETTINGS or MENU button on your Shaw remote; a new user interface window will appear with the title User SettingsThe User Settings window
- Use the LEFT and RIGHT arrow buttons on your Shaw Remote to cycle through the different options for the setting that is currently selected (marked with a ">"). Use the UP and DOWN arrow buttons to navigate up and down the list of Settings
- Ensure that the following options are optimally set for your television:
- TV Type - Allows you to adjust picture depending on the shape of your television. If you have a widescreen TV, you will want to set your picture to 16:9. If not, you can use either 4:3 Letterbox or 4:3 Pan and Scan.
- YPbPr Output (DVI or HDMI/YPbPr Output) - Adjusts the resolution of the picture. 1080i and 720p settings are optimal for HD TVs, while 480p and 480i are best for standard definition televisions. You can also set the digital box to display in Native mode, which shows the content in the resolution in which it is naturally broadcast.
- 4:3 Override - Allows you to change how standard definition content is displayed on your widescreen television. Stretch mode will cause the picture to expand so that it fills the full screen, whereas Off, 840p, 480i will display the content with black bars on either side so that the image appears in its natural resolution.
- Choose the settings which best accommodate the capabilities of your television
- Press the POWER button on your Shaw remote to exit User Settings
Related: Alternative POP and IMAP Settings
Back to top
Back to top
To set your TV resolution settings using your Arris Gateway digital box:
- Start by powering on your television, and then press the MENU button on your Shaw remote
- Hit the LEFT arrow on your Shaw remote until you find the Settings option
- Choose the setup option Aspect Ratio. From here you will be able to select either Standard (4:3) TV or Widescreen (16:9) TV
- Choosing the Widescreen (16:9) TV option will allow you to determine how standard definition (SD) content is displayed on your TV by selecting either Maintain (displays SD content as is) or Stretch (stretches SD content to fill the TV screen)
- Navigate to TV Setup in the list. At this point, you will be able to select the display settings which best work with the capabilities of your television set. Choose from one of the following: 1080p 30 Hz, 1080p 24 Hz, 1080i, 720 p, 480p, or 480i
Back to top
BlueSky TV digital box
To change the resolution settings on your TV through your BlueSky TV digital box:
- Browse to Settings (the gear icon) in your BlueSky TV menu. Click OK.
- Use the down arrow to scroll down to Device Settings. Click OK.
- Use the up or down arrow to scroll to Video Display. Click OK.
- Use the down arrow to scroll down to Video Output Resolution. Click OK.
- Select the desired resolution and click OK. Your options will be:
- 4:3, 480i SD
- 4:3, 480p SD
- 16:9, 720p HD
- 16:9, 1080i HD
- 16:9, 1080p60 HD
Related: BlueSky TV Settings
Back to top