Welcome to the Shaw Support Community. Join now to follow, share and participate in the conversation with Shaw experts and users like you.

Currently Being Moderated

How to Connect to a Shaw Go WiFi Hotspot

Back to Wireless & Shaw Go WiFi

Back to Internet Articles

Overview

Shaw Go WiFi provides you with a Shaw Internet experience beyond the home. As a Shaw Internet customer, you can access a huge network of super-fast WiFi locations all over your city for no additional cost. So you can stay connected, whether you're sipping a latte, waiting for a train, or even working out at the gym.

Once you register your mobile devices on Shaw Go WiFi, they will automatically connect every time you enter a Shaw Go WiFi hotspot.

Video not displaying properly? Click here

Details

Easy Device Registration at Home

Easy Device Registration Away from Home

Directly Connect to WiFi Hotspot

Device Limit

Troubleshooting and FAQ

Easy Device Registration at Home:

With Easy Device Registration, you can now register your devices on the Shaw Go WiFi network while at home. This can be done through Shaw.ca, or through the Shaw Go WiFi Finder app. Once you have downloaded the app to your device(s), follow the steps below to connect.

1. Enable WiFi on your device
  2. Connect to your home Shaw WiFi network
  3. Navigate to the Easy Device Registration page on Shaw.ca, or choose the option to register your device through the Shaw Go WiFi Finder app
  4. Enter your contact email and give your device a name
  5. Read and accept the terms of use
  6. Tap Register My Device
  7. You will now be taken to a page confirming successful registration

Once you enter into a WiFi Hotspot:

2. Open your WiFi settings
  3. Select the ShawOpen network

You are now connected to Shaw Go WiFi. Your device will now automatically connect to other ShawOpen hotspots when you are within range.

Easy Device Registration on Shaw Home WiFi

WiFi 2.png

Easy Device Registration away from Home:
With Easy Device Registration, you can now register your devices on the Shaw Go WiFi network before you connect to a WiFi hotspot. This can be done through Shaw.ca, or through the Shaw Go WiFi Finder app. Once you have downloaded the app to your device(s), follow the steps below to connect.

1. Connect to the Internet on your device
  2. Navigate to the Easy Device Registration page on Shaw.ca, or choose the option to register your device through the Shaw Go WiFi Finder app
  3. Enter your Shaw email address and password
  4. Enter your contact email and give your device a name
  5. Read and accept the terms of use
  6. Tap Register My Device
  7. You will now be taken to a page confirming successful registration

Once you enter into a WiFi Hotspot:

2. Open your WiFi settings
  3. Select the ShawOpen network

You are now connected to Shaw Go WiFi. Your device will now automatically connect to other ShawOpen hotspots when you are within range.

Easy Device Registration while off Shaw Home WiFi
Go WiFi EDR 1.png

Directly Connect to WiFi Hotspot

To access a Shaw Go WiFi hotspot you will first need to ensure that you are in an area that has an active WiFi hotspot by checking for the closest location on the Shaw Go WiFi Finder app or on our online map.

Once you have confirmed that you are in a WiFi hotspot, you can connect to it by following these steps:

1. Access the Network/WiFi settings on your WiFi enabled device
  2. Find the network named ShawOpen from the list of available networks and connect to it
  3. Open your web browser and you will be presented with the Shaw Go WiFi sign in page
  4. Sign in using your Shaw.ca email address and password
  5. If you have not yet registered this device to your account you will be given the option to do so now. Registering your device will allow it to automatically connect to Shaw Go WiFi hotspots when you are within their range. Enter your devices name and select Remember Device, or Continue without remembering device if you do not wish to register this device to Shaw Go WiFi
  6. You will now be connected to a Shaw Go WiFi hotspot

Connect to a Shaw Go WiFi Hotspot

Device Limit

You may be unable to auto-authenticate to the network if you exceed the number of devices you are able to connect to Shaw Go WiFi on your account. The number of devices you are able to connect depends on which Internet plan you are subscribed to. You can learn more about device limits by clicking on the following link: https://www.shaw.ca/internet/wifi/faq/

If you exceed your device limit you will still be able to join the network, but you will not be auto-authenticated and will be required to sign in with your Shaw email address and password each time you connect to a Shaw Go WiFi hotspot.

For more information on managing your WiFi devices, click here: Manage WiFi Devices

Troubleshooting and FAQ

After I connect to Shaw Go WiFi, the login page does not load

Once you have connected to a Shaw Go WiFi hotspot you will need to open a browser.

If you've already registered your device, you will automatically be connected. If not, you will be required to login.

If the login page is not loading, it may be because your browser's homepage or the site you are navigating to is a secured site (https - like Google or Facebook). If this occurs, you may see the following security warning. Simply click continue to proceed to login:

iOSAndroid

I would like to report a faulty hotspot

If you appear to be connected but cannot access the Internet, move to another Shaw Go WiFi hotspot and report the location of the faulty hotspot by submitting feedback through the WiFi Finder app, or by calling Technical Support team at 1-855-877-WIFI (9434).

How can I manage my Shaw Email account

If you can connect to the access point but don't have an @shaw.ca email address or have forgotten the password, visit the Customer Centre to manage your email address and password.

How to Create a New Shaw Email Address

How to Create a  New Customer Centre Account

I am unable to auto-authenticate to a WiFi hotspot

You may be unable to authenticate to the network if you have exceeded the number of devices you can connect to Shaw Go WiFi on your account. The number of devices you are able to connect depends on which Internet plan you are subscribed to. 

Click here for more information

The sign in page continues to display after I have signed in

On certain Android devices the sign in page will continue to display, even after you have successfully signed in. If this occurs, you can go into your WiFi settings menu and forget the ShawOpen network. When you reconnect to ShawOpen you should no longer be prompted with the sign in page and will able to access the web.

I can't sign in to the Shaw Go WiFi Network

If your device has cookies disabled, you may not be able to sign in to the Shaw Go WiFi network. You can re-enable cookies through your mobile devices settings menu, or through your computer's Internet browser settings.

Which of my devices are compatible with Easy Device Registration?

Easy Device Registration is compatible with any device that has a browser and WiFi capabilities, including laptops, tablets and smartphones.

I would like to request a new Shaw Go WiFi hotspot. How can I do this?

To request a new Shaw Go WiFi hotspot, email your suggestion to wifisuggestions@sjrb.ca. Please include the following details about the location you would like to suggest:

Street Address:

City, Province:

Phone:

Email:

Related Links

How to Create a New Shaw Email Address

Shaw Go Wifi Finder App

Contact Us

More Info on Shaw Go WiFi

Ask a Question in our Shaw Go WiFi Forum

Back to Internet Articles

Delete Document

Are you sure you want to delete this document?