This guide will provide instructions for rebooting (power cycling) a Shaw Modem which is connected to a router. Common router brands include D-link, Netgear, Linksys and Belkin.
This article provides insight into:
Did You Know
One of the quickest fixes to many device issues is to power cycle or reboot your equipment. Simply unplug the power cord for the device from the electrical outlet or power bar, wait a few seconds, plug back in and try restarting.
Learn More: Pull the Power to fix Internet, TV or phone issues
How to power cycle a Shaw modem and router
Follow these instructions to power cycle your Shaw modem or router.
- Unplug the power from your Shaw Modem, leaving all other connections secure
- Unplug the power from your router and wait at least 30 seconds
- Plug the power back into your Shaw Modem only
- Wait until the Shaw Modem comes back online, as indicated by a steady Online light (this may take a few minutes depending on the model of Shaw Modem that you have)
- Plug the power back into your router
- Restart your computer and test your Internet connection
If you are still experiencing issues after following the above steps, please follow these steps to bypass your router:
- Unplug the power from your Shaw Modem and shut down your computer
- Disconnect the network (Ethernet) cable from the back of the router and plug this cable into your computer, establishing a direct connection between your Shaw Modem and computer
- Wait at least 30 seconds, then plug the power back into your Shaw Modem
- Wait until the Shaw Modem is online, as indicated by a steady Online light
- Turn on your computer and test your Internet connection
If you are unable to connect to the Internet after bypassing your router, please contact our technical support line at 1-888-472-2222. Otherwise, if you are able to connect to the Internet while connected directly to the modem, you will need to consult the manufacturer of your router for further support.
Back to Top
Manufacturer contact numbers
For additional support, here is a list of toll-free numbers to contact various manufacturers of modems and routers.
Back to Top
Still have questions? Chat with us on social media.
It's fast, easy and convenient, and it's totally a new way to connect with us.