This guide will provide instructions for rebooting (power cycling) a Shaw Modem which is connected to a router. Common router brands include D-link, Netgear, Linksys and Belkin.
On This Page
Unplug the power from your Shaw Modem, leaving all other connections secure
Unplug the power from your router and wait at least 30 seconds
Plug the power back into your Shaw Modem only
Wait until the Shaw Modem comes back online, as indicated by a steady Online light (this may take a few minutes depending on the model of Shaw Modem that you have)
Plug the power back into your router
Restart your computer and test your Internet connection
If you are still experiencing issues after following the above steps, please follow these steps to bypass your router:
- Unplug the power from your Shaw Modem and shut down your computer
- Disconnect the network (ethernet) cable from the back of the router and plug this cable into your computer, establishing a direct connection between your Shaw Modem and computer
- Wait at least 30 seconds, then plug the power back into your Shaw Modem
- Wait until the Shaw Modem is online, as indicated by a steady Online light
- Turn on your computer and test your Internet connection
If you are unable to connect to the Internet after bypassing your router, please contact our technical support line at 1-888-472-2222. Otherwise, if you are able to connect to the Internet while connected directly to the modem, you will need to consult the manufacturer of your router for further support.
Manufacturer Contact Numbers
Still Need A Little Help?
See what other customers are asking, or sign-in to ask
your own question, in the Internet forum.