Setup Email on Outlook 2007

Document created by alyssap on Jun 5, 2012Last modified by [shaw]bryce on Jun 16, 2016
Version 65Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Two options exist for setting up your Shaw email account on Outlook 2007, including POP/SMTP, and IMAP. For information on which email setup method you should use, please refer to the "Which Email Setup Method is Right for Me" section.

On This Page

Which Email Setup Method is Right for Me?

IMAP

POP/SMTP

Additional Details

Which Email Setup Method is Right for Me?

There are three different ways you can set up your Shaw email account on your device or email client. These include ActiveSync, also known as Microsoft Exchange, IMAP and POP/SMTP. Check out our quick-guide below for a bit more information on the differences between ActiveSync, IMAP and POP/SMTP.

Setup MethodActiveSync (Exchange)
IMAPPOP/SMTP
Best For
Not Available on Outlook 2007
Users who want to be able to access their Shaw email account through multiple devices and Webmail.

Users who want to have access to their emails while offline should choose this setup method.

Description

IMAP works with your mail content on Shaw's servers. Moving, sending, or deleting tasks are performed on the server so your other devices and Shaw Webmail are kept in sync. A small cache (copy) of your email is kept on your device limiting off-line access.

While using POP3 your email client downloads a copy of all mail received by the mailbox, optionally deleting the messages from Webmail. Any changes made only affect your emails on that device, and will not affect other devices or Webmail.

IMAP

Follow these steps to configure Outlook 2007 and your Shaw.ca email address to sync over IMAP. Before you begin, please ensure that your Shaw email password meets the minimum security requirements.

1. Enable Remote Access
  2. Open Microsoft Outlook 2007
  3. Select Tools
  4. Select Account Settings
  5. Under the E-mail tab, select New...
  6. Select Microsoft Exchange, POP3, IMAP, or HTTP then click Next
  7. Enter the following details:
      • Your Name: The name associated with this email
      • E-mail Address: Your Shaw.ca email address
      • Password: Your Shaw.ca email password
      • Retype Password: Your Shaw.ca email password
  8. Check the option to Manually Configure Server Settings or Additional Server Types
  9. Click Next
  10. Select Internet E-mail
  11. Choose IMAP under Server Information

When required, enter the following details. Not all of these settings may be requested. On outlook 2007, you will need to click the option for "More Settings" and then navigate to the "Advanced" tab in order to set the following details.

Option 1: Mail Settings with SSL and Remote Access

Incoming Mail Server Information:

Incoming Mail Server:imap.shaw.ca

Incoming Port: 993

SSL: Yes

Username: Shaw email without @shaw.ca

Password: Your email password

Outgoing Mail Server Information:

Outgoing Mail Server: mail.shaw.ca

Outgoing Port: 587

SSL: Yes

SSL or "Secure Sockets Layer" works to keep your information secure. We highly recommend enabling it on your email setup configuration to help keep your information safe. If you would prefer to disable SSL authentication on your mail client you can use the steps below. This means that you will not need to enable remote access on your email account.

Option 2: Mail Settings without SSL and Remote Access

Incoming Mail Server Information:

Incoming Mail Server:imap.shaw.ca

Incoming Port: 143

SSL: No

Outgoing Mail Server Information:

Outgoing Mail Server: mail.shaw.ca

Outgoing Port: 587

SSL: No

POP/SMTP

Follow these steps to configure Outlook 2007 and your Shaw.ca email address to sync over POP/SMTP. Before you begin, please ensure that your Shaw email password meets the minimum security requirements.

1. Enable Remote Access

2. Open Microsoft Outlook 2007

3. Select Tools

4. Select Account Settings (Example. A)

5. Under the E-mail tab, select New(Example. B)

6. Check the box next to Manually configure server settings or additional server types (Example. C)

7. Select Next

8. Select the bullet next to Internet E-mail and then select Next

9. Enter the following information: (Example. D)

• Your Name: First and Last Name e.g. John Smith

• E-mail Address: Your Shaw email address including @shaw.ca

• Account Type: POP3

• Incoming mail server: pop.shaw.ca

• Outgoing mail server (SMTP): mail.shaw.ca

• User Name: Your Shaw email address without @shaw.ca

• Password: Your Shaw email password

10. Enter a check mark next to Remember password

11. Ensure that no check mark is entered into Require logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)

12. Select More Settings(Example. E)

13. Select the Outgoing Server tab: (Example. F)

• Place a check mark My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication

• Ensure that Use same settings as my Incoming Mail server is selected
  14. Select the Advanced tab: (Example. G)

• Change the Outgoing server (SMTP) port number to 587

• Choose TLS from pop-up menu under Use the following type of encrypted connection

• Enter a check mark next to Leave a copy of messages on the server. This ensures that a copy of the emails in your Inbox is left in Webmail so that they can be accessible online at http://webmail.shaw.ca/ when you are not using this computer

15. Select OK

16. Select Next (Example. H)

17. Select Finish (Example. I)

To verify that the settings have been entered correctly, compose a new email message and send the email to your own address. Select the Send/Receive button to retrieve new emails. If the email you created arrives in your Inbox, Outlook has been configured successfully.

Example. AExample. BExample. CExample. DExample. E
001Tools-Account Settings-1.jpg004Tools-Account Settings-Manually configure-1.jpg006B1.jpg006B1-1.jpg

Example. FExample. GExample. HExample. I
007-1.jpg008-1.jpg

(click thumbnails to enlarge)

Additional Details

I want my emails to be automatically removed from Webmail once I have downloaded them to Outlook.

If you prefer to remove your messages from Webmail after they have been retrieved through Outlook, please perform the following steps:

1. Open Microsoft Outlook 2007

2. Select Tools

3. Select Account Settings

4. Select your email account in the Email Accounts list to highlight the item

5. Select Change

6. Select More Settings

7. Select Advanced

8. Remove the check mark from the option: Leave a copy of messages on the server. Note: Leaving this option checked allows you to keep a backup copy of your emails on our Webmail server, which can be helpful in the event your computer fails to preserve its copy.

I can receive emails but cannot send.

• your password does not meet the Security Requirements for Remote Access, which is required if you are going to use the Outgoing Mail Server for mobile devices

• Remote Access is not enabled from within your Webmail preferences

To view the password Security Requirements, learn more about Remote Access and how to enable this feature, please refer to: Remote Access.

Related Articles

Email Client: Send/Receive Troubleshooting

Remote Access

Still Need A Little Help?

See what other customers are asking, or sign-in to ask

your own question, in the Internet forum.

int-forum.png

Attachments

Outcomes