Shaw Secure is a complete virus and online protection suite which is supported by McAfee and available free of charge as an additional benefit included with your Shaw Internet service. This guide will provide detailed instructions for installing the Shaw Secure software (McAfee SecurityCenter). At this time Shaw Secure powered by McAfee is available only for Windows.
Shaw Secure Version 12.8 is now available. Click here to see features of Shaw Secure powered by McAfee version 12.8.
To start the process, visit shaw.ca/occ and log into your Customer Center profile. If you have not yet registered for the Customer Center, please click Create an Account to get started. For detailed instructions on how to register for a Customer Centre account, please see: Customer Centre Registration / My Account
Before You Begin
It is important that you remove any existing antivirus programs from your computer prior to installing Shaw Secure. If you have the old version of Shaw Secure (Powered by F-Secure) currently installed on your computer, the following installation process will automatically remove it for you. If you are using a third party antivirus program such as Norton or Microsoft Security Essentials, please consult the support information available on the manufacturers website for further instructions on how to properly remove it from your computer.
1. On the left menu, click Internet and then Shaw Secure by McAfee
2. From the new window, click Download Now under the I'm a new Shaw Secure Customer banner. If you have previously installed Shaw Secure on a different computer, click Re-download Shaw Secure
3. You will now be directed to the McAfee website to continue the installation. From the new window, click the red Download button.
Note: If you see a message stating that A system error has occurred. Please try again, you will need to reset your Internet browser. To do this, please follow the instructions located at Internet Browser Support
4. You will be prompted to accept a user agreement for the McAfee software. The agreement can be read on-screen or printed if you so choose. When ready, click I Agree to continue
5. Copy the provided serial number and then click Download to continue
Note: The serial number you see on your screen is only valid for a short period of time and is distinct to your installation
6. Select the Run option from the window that appears. Select Yes if you see the prompt asking if you will allow the program to make changes to your computer. If you are using an alternative browser such as Firefox or Chrome, you may need to open the download by clicking on it at the bottom of the page, or from the downloads window that appears
|Internet Explorer Example:||Chrome Example:||Firefox Example:|
7. You will now be prompted to enter in the serial number you obtained in Step 5, once done click Next
8. When the download has completed you will be asked what type of installation you would like, for the most thorough coverage, choose Complete
9. If you currently have the Shaw Secure - Powered by F-Secure program installed on your computer McAfee will automatically detect the previous installation and remove it for you. This will require a restart of your computer. Once your computer has been restarted, the installation process will continue automatically
10. The McAfee product will now resume its installation process
11. The installation will also ask you if you would like to participate in improving the product by sending anonymous usage information to McAfee. Choosing to participate in this program is completely voluntary. If you do not wish to send anonymous usage information to McAfee, simply remove the check mark by clicking on the selection box. Select Next to continue
12. When it has finished you will see the "Installation Complete" window appear confirming that the process was completed successfully
13. Click Finish
14. McAfee has now finished installing Shaw Secure, the main user menu will now be accessible via a menu bar icon by the date and time on your computer (lower right hand corner of your screen)