BlueSky TV frequently asked questions

Document created by shaw-jody on Feb 28, 2017Last modified by shaw-jody on May 29, 2017
Version 13Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Learn about BlueSky TV hardware items, functionality, menu settings and billing information with our list of frequently asked questions.

Did You Know

With BlueSky TV your voice is our command. The voice remote provides a quicker search and TV viewing experience than ever before.

Learn More: BlueSky TV Remote Control                                                                                                                                        

About BlueSky TV

BlueSky TV is the new TV experience being offered by Shaw. Powered by Comcast’s X1 platform, BlueSky TV offers a TV experience like no other in Canada. With a voice activated remote, enhanced menus and smart search capabilities, BlueSky TV allows you to:

Say it. See it. Love it.

BlueSky TV with Voice Remote

Related: BlueSky TV Digital Box OverviewBlueSky TV Menu OverviewBlueSky TV User Guide

BlueSky TV FAQs

Here is some additional insight based on some frequently asked questions about BlueSky TV. See our BlueSky TV User Guide - pdf for more details about BlueSky TV.

Is BlueSky TV available in my area?
BlueSky TV is being rolled out to various regions across Canada. View the list of communities to see if BlueSky TV is currently available in your area.

Do I need new hardware if I order BlueSky TV?
Yes, BlueSky TV comes with three new pieces of hardware including the BlueSky TV digital box, the BlueSky TV portal and the Voice Remote.

Is it true that BlueSky TV comes with a voice remote?
Yes, BlueSky TV comes with a remote control that you can use voice commands with to find your favourite actors, teams, shows, movies and channels faster than ever. Learn more about voice commands.

Can I use my Harmony remote with BlueSky TV?
Yes, the Harmony remote does work with BlueSky TV, though Shaw does not support setting up or troubleshooting the remote. BlueSky TV is designed to be an all-in-one product. In addition, unless you are using the BlueSky TV Remote, you will not have access to the functionality of the voice remote/commands.

Is BlueSky TV 4K compatible?
No, BlueSky TV hardware is all new but the BlueSky TV digital box does not currently support 4K. Shaw does not currently offer 4K services. BlueSky TV is 1080p capable as well as HD compatible.

Is BlueSky TV IP based?
BlueSky TV is not IP based per se. It can be considered “hybrid” as VOD streams are IP based the same way FreeRange TV is. TV Channels are delivered the same way as other Shaw video products. 

Can BlueSky TV co-exist with old Gateway/HD Guide hardware?
No, BlueSky TV is designed to be an all-in-one product and is not designed to co-exist with any legacy Shaw video hardware.

Do I get any new channels with BlueSky TV?
There are no channels specific to BlueSky TV. There are two ways that you can view your channels including on the Shaw Channel Listings page.

How many programs can I record with the BlueSky TV PVR?
You can record up to six shows at the same time with your BlueSky TV PVR. With BlueSky TV you have the ability to have up to three BlueSky TV boxes in your home. Each BlueSky TV box includes a 500GB hard drive. See: BlueSky TV Tuner Information.

Can I watch any of my recordings on all of my TV boxes?
Yes, completed recordings are viewable on all BlueSky TV boxes in the home.

Does FreeRange TV work with BlueSky TV?
Yes. You can get the FreeRange TV app with BlueSky TV. It is available for iOS, Android or computer.

What does BlueSky TV whole-home PVR mean?
BlueSky TV offers a whole home experience meaning that you can record live TV or upcoming shows from any BlueSky Box in the home. You can start watching on one TV and pick up where you left off on another.

What happens if I add a second (or third) BlueSky TV PVR?
When you add a second (or third) BlueSky TV PVR, you increase the amount of PVR storage. In addition, your recording schedule recalculates based on the number of BlueSky TV recording resources in your home.

Can I have more than 3 BlueSky TV PVRs in my home?
No, at this time the maximum number of BlueSky TV boxes that you can have is 3.

How will BlueSky TV affect my monthly Shaw bill?
This will depend on your billing cycle and whether you are a current Shaw subscriber or new to Shaw. If you are an existing Shaw customer this will also depend on your current packaging. See our article on BlueSky Billing Scenarios for additional information.

Related Articles

Attachments

Outcomes