Learn how to run a Ping test in Mac Operating System (OS). A ping test may need to be done in order to determine the status of your current Internet connection. The test will allow you to directly communicate with a website using either its domain name (for example www.google.ca) or its IP address (for example 12.345.678.90).
This article will provide insight into:
Did You Know:
The steps for running a Ping test on a Windows computer are slightly different. See the following article to learn how to perform a ping test on a Windows computer.
Learn More: How to perform a Ping test (Windows)
Back to top
How to understand the results of a Ping test
After running a Ping test, you may receive varying results.
- If the ping test is successful, and you are able to communicate with the website, you will see the results which are shown in the image below. In particular, you should notice that each of the lines has information listed next to time. For example Time = 13.655 ms.
- A successful ping test would indicate that you have an active internet connection. If you are still unable to browse the web than your issue may instead lie with your Network Adapters, programs or malware (viruses) that are present on your computer, or your Domain Name System (DNS).
- If the ping test fails, and you cannot communicate with the website, then you will instead see a message saying that the ping test has timed out, or that the destination was unreachable.
- If this occurs: Enter the IP address of Google, or another similar website, into the text field and then choose the Ping button to begin the test
- The IP Address can be found by opening your Spotlight tool and searching for Terminal. Once found, you can open the terminal program and type nslookup google.ca then press Enter.
- At this point, you should see a variety of results including Address, which will then have the IP address of the website listed (for example Address: 12.345.678.90).
- Using the method described above, ping the resulting IP address
- If the ping test fails while attempting to ping the IP address, this would indicate that your computer is not detecting any internet connection. If this is the case, please refer to our Unable to Connect to the Internet troubleshooting guide.
Back to top