Welcome to the Shaw Support Community. Join now to follow, share and participate in the conversation with Shaw experts and users like you.

Currently Being Moderated

Webspace FAQ

Back to Related Articles

Back to Internet Articles

Overview

Shaw Webspace gives you a place on the Internet to share your interests. With Webspace, you can:

• Share galleries created in Photo Share or Video Mail
    • Create your own Web pages using our simple page creation tool
    • Start a Blog
    • Password protect your Webspace so only friends and family can view it, or you can choose to share it with the whole world

Details

Create a Webspace

What is my Webspace Address?

Can I use a domain name for my Webspace Address?

Can I use server-side scripting on my Webspace?

I used a web-page editing program to build my Webspace. How do I upload it to Webspace?

Can other people publish to my Webspace?

If I accidentally delete some Webspace Files, can Shaw restore them from backup?

I've uploaded a newer version of my Webspace page, but my website still shows the older version.

How do I delete my Webspace?

Is there a upload limit on attachments?

Webspace file size and quota restrictions

Create a Webspace

You will first need to log into your Customer Centre account at secure.shaw.ca. If you have not yet set up a Customer Centre account, you can find more information on how to do this by following the below link:

How to Create a Customer Centre Account

1. Click Internet in the left menu
  2. Click Manage Email and Webspace
  3. Click Create Webspace next to the email address under which you would like to enable this feature
  4. If you do not yet have a Shaw email address you can instead click on Create Email Address to create one
  5. Visit Webspace, sign in and get started on your new Website

What is my Webspace Address?

Your Webspace address will be your username.shawwebspace.ca. "Your username" being the part of your Shaw email address that precedes @shaw.ca

Users who signed up before the transition to the new Webspace will find their page at members.shaw.ca/<your email username> For example: members.shaw.ca/userexampleaccount

Can I use a domain name for my Webspace Address?

At this time you cannot use a domain name for your Webspace address. You must use the address generated automatically when you create your Webspace, which is determined by your Shaw Email address.

Can I use server-side scripting on my Webspace?

No. We are not yet able to provide this function.

I used a web-page editing program to build my site. How do I upload it to Webspace?

Many editing programs have built-in FTP (File Transfer Protocol) features for transferring your files to Webspace

You can also use a standalone FTP program such as WS_FTP, CuteFTP or Transmit.

You will need the following information:

• FTP Hostname: ftp.shaw.ca
  • Username: the part of your Shaw Email address that precedes @shaw.ca
  • Password: your Shaw Email/Webspace password

Please Note: FTP uploading is only available on legacy Webspace accounts.

Can other people publish to my Webspace?

If you give others your username and password, they can publish to your Webspace, but only from a Shaw Internet Connection.

We do not, however, recommend sharing your password.

For security reasons, users from outside Shaw's network cannot connect to our FTP servers.

I accidentally deleted some Webspace files, can Shaw restore them?

No. We are not yet able to provide any backup functionality. We recommend you keep a backup copy of you Webspace contents on your computer.

I've uploaded a newer version of my page but my website still shows the older version.

Webspace has cached - or saved - the previous copy of the page in order to load the page more quickly. This is a function of your Internet browser. You can get rid of the old page by doing a hard refresh by holding down the CTRL (control) key and then pushing the F5 key on your keyboard.

How do I delete my Webspace?

If you no longer wish to use Webspace, you can deactivate it. This will, however, delete all pages and files located on your Webspace. To delete your Webspace account:

You will first need to log into your Customer Centre account at secure.shaw.ca. If you have not yet set up a Customer Centre account, you can find more information on how to do this by following the below link:

How to Create a Customer Centre Account

1. Click Internet in the left menu
  2. Click Manage Email and Webspace
  3. Click Settings next to the email account on which you wish to delete Webspace
  4. Scroll down to Webspace Settings and click Delete Webspace
  5. You should return to Manage Email and Webspace, which will show you a green checkmark saying "Successfully deleted Webspace"

Is there an upload limit on attachments?

Yes, there is a limit on how large your attachments will be when you send an email using Shaw Webmail.

Each attachment has a maximum file size of 20MB and the total size of all attachments is a maximum of 20MB.

Example:

You want to send three photos to a friend from a recent event. Each photo is 1.2 MB and combined your attachements are 3.6MB, meeting both requirements.

Webspace File Size and Quota Restrictions

Maximum File Size: 20MB

Webspace Quota: 20MB

Ask a Question in our Internet Forum

Back to Internet Articles

Delete Document

Are you sure you want to delete this document?