Learn how to run a virus scan using McAfee Internet Security. Running a virus scan on your computer can help to discover and eliminate the threats caused by malicious software such as viruses and spyware. Running scans on a regular basis will help to ensure that these threats are discovered and quickly removed. You can set McAfee Internet Security to do an automatically scheduled scan, or you can manually start a scan at a time of your choosing. This guide will show you how to manually start a virus scan on your computer.
This article will provide insight into:
Did You Know?
You can set up a scheduled virus scan to help protect your computer from malicious activity.
Learn More: How to set up a scheduled virus scan
Instructions on running a virus scan using McAfee Internet Security
Follow these instructions to run a virus scan using McAfee Internet Security.
- Start by opening McAfee Internet Security on your desktop. To do this, locate the McAfee Internet Security icon and double click on it, or go into your Start Menu to find the McAfee Internet Security program. Once opened you will see the following landing page: (click on image for an expanded view)
- Select the Virus and Spyware Protection option, and then choose Scan Your PC
- Select either the Run a quick scan, Run a full scan, or Run a custom scan options, depending on your preference.
- Run a Quick Scan: Scans the processes, critical windows files and other major susceptible areas for threats
- Run a Full Scan: Completely scans your computers processes and files for any threats. This scan will take much longer than a quick scan, but will be much more thorough.
- Run a Custom Scan: Lets you choose which folders will be included in your virus scan, and also gives you the option to specifically exclude files and folders.
- Once you have selected the scan you wish to run, you will be presented with a page which shows the progress of the scan, the files currently being scanned, and the issues found and fixed during that scan.
Back to top
Back to top