The McAfee Shredder tool allows you to delete items securely and permanently that may contain sensitive information. When you delete items from your PC through your files or folders, empty or delete either your Recycle Bin or Temporary Internet Files folder, the items are still recoverable if a proper recovery tool is used. These items can accumulate over time if not permanently deleted, taking up valuable space on your PC and can even slow down its performance.
On This Page
The McAfee Shredder tool allows you to safely and permanently delete unwanted files so that they are unrecoverable.
As you increase the number of times an item is shredded, the difficulty in being able to recover the files is also increased along with the amount of time it takes to complete the process. To ensure that your private information cannot be recovered in the future, select the highest setting: Complete.
The McAfee Shredder tool provides the following folders as options to shed:
The McAfee Shredder tool also allows you to specify how many times you would like to shred a folder:
- Select Data Protection drawer and then select Shredder
- Select a folder to shred.
- Select a shred type, then select Shred.
- Select Shred again when prompted with this window.
Alternatively, you can access the Shred option when right-clicking any folders on your desktop or through your file folders and selecting “Shred” from the pop-up menu that appears.
- Open McAfee Internet Security 12.8 on your computer
- Select Data Protection and Backup from the start screen
- Choose Shredder
- Select the folder to shred
- Recycle Bin: Shreds all items placed in your recycle bin
- Temporary Internet files: Shreds all temporary internet files that you downloaded while surfing the web
- Let me choose: Manually select the folder or file that you would like to shred
- Select the level of shred
- Select Shred to begin the shredding process
Still Need A Little Help?
See what other customers are asking, or sign-in to ask
your own question, in the Internet forum.