Before proceeding with connecting your Digital Box, please write down the serial number found on the rear of your Digital Box for future reference. If this is the first time you are connecting this particular Digital Box, you will need this serial number to activate the Digital Box, which can be done online by visiting http://activations.shaw.ca.
To connect a Digital Box to your TV, you will need three cables:
- Power Cable for the Digital Box
- Coaxial Cable to connect the Digital Box to the wall outlet
- Video Cable to connect the Digital Box to your TV
Please note: your Digital Box may have come with a power adapter instead of the power cable depicted above.
The video cable you use is dependent on the model of your Digital Box and the inputs available on the rear of your television. Look to the rear or side panel of your TV to see what inputs are available (e.g. HDMI, component, RCA).
- Component or HDMI: for HD video. An HD Digital Box and an HD TV are required to view channels in HD.
- Coaxial or Composite: for standard definition video. If you have a standard definition Digital Box and/or a standard definition TV you will use these cables. Or, if you have an HD Digital Box but are connecting to a standard definition TV (i.e. HDMI or Component is not available), you can alternatively connect your Digital Box to the TV using a Composite or Coaxial connection; this configuration will output a standard definition picture to your TV.
- Screw one end of the included coaxial cable into your wall outlet, and the other end into the Cable In or RF In port on the back of the Digital Box
- Connect the Video/Audio cables to your TV and Digital Box. You may have a few options in which cables to use, depending on which Digital Box you have purchased. The most common cables used are either HDMI (HD picture) or Composite (standard definition picture)
Note:Please remember the port where you connect the video cable on your TV (example: HDMI2, Component 1, etc)
- Connect the power adapter from the wall power outlet to your Digital Box
- Power on the Digital Box
- Press the INPUT or SOURCE button on your TV's remote to change to the correct input which you identified in step 2.
- If you used a coaxial cable to connect the Digital Box to your TV, manually change to channel 3 (4 in some areas) using the buttons located directly on your TV or on your remote that originally came with your TV (not the Shaw Remote)
Additional Note: If you require additional assistance in connecting your Digital Box please contact a Shaw representative for further assistance
- Identify the input port on your TV where you inserted the video cable (coming from the Digital Box) and take note of the label above or around the port (e.g. HDMI1, Component3, AV1, etc.). This label indicates the type of video connection you have used between your Digital Box and the TV
- Confirm that the Digital Box has been powered on
- Press the INPUT (or SOURCE, ANT) button directly on your TV repeatedly (or on the remote that came with your TV, not the Shaw Remote) until the label for the input you have identified is selected on-screen and you see a picture on your TV screen.
Please refer to the table below for common TV Input labels for the video cables listed.
|Coaxial ||TV/CATV/Cable, tuned to channel 3. Use the buttons directly on your TV (not the Shaw Remote) to change to channel 3.|