Shaw Email FAQs

Document created by shaw-jody on Sep 7, 2017Last modified by shaw-jody on Jan 29, 2019
Version 6Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Learn more about Shaw email from setup requirements and server settings to email troubleshooting and common email tips with our frequently asked questions.

Did You Know

As part of your Shaw Internet services you may create up to 10 email addresses. You can create new emails or manage your existing ones using My Shaw or the My Shaw app available for both Android or iOS.

Learn More: How to Create a new @Shaw Email Address

Shaw Email Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some answers to commonly asked questions about Shaw email.

What is Shaw email?
Shaw includes up to 10 email addresses with your internet subscription. A Shaw email will have your username followed by @shaw.ca. For example, coolgrandma67@shaw.ca or albertsmith@shaw.ca are two examples of Shaw email addresses. For additional information see: How does Shaw email work?

How do I create a new @shaw.ca email account?
The easiest way to create a new Shaw email is through the My Shaw app.  To do this:

1. Login to the My Shaw app
  2. Once logged in, click Internet at the left side of the landing page
  3. Scroll down to Shaw Email Account > click Manage Accounts
  4. Click Create Email Address – note you can create up to 10 email accounts
  5. Follow the prompts to enter your information.

For additional details please see: How to create a new @shaw.ca email account using My Shaw

How do I change my Shaw.ca email password?
The easiest way to change your Shaw email password is through the My Shaw app.  To do this:

1. Login to the My Shaw app
  2. Once logged in, click Internet at the left side of the landing page
  3. Scroll down to Shaw Email Account > click Manage Accounts
  4. Click the existing email account that you want to change the password for
  5. Click Change Password
  6. Enter your new password and enter it a second time to confirm
  7. Click Save

For additional details see: How to change your email and Webmail password

How many email accounts do I get with Shaw?
You can create up to 10 shaw.ca email accounts.

How do I configure my 3rd party email client?
Use our email server settings to configure your third party email client (i.e. Outlook). Steps will vary depending on the email client or device that you are setting up your email on.  Find troubleshooting tips for common email clients with our article: Email Client: Send/Receive Troubleshooting.

For additional email client support please visit the support site of your email client.  Common email client support can be found here.

What is the difference between POP and IMAP email settings?
With POP, your mail client can download mail from the server. This is most useful when using a single computer or device to manage your email, as it keeps your mail on that computer or device. IMAP is the most convenient way to set up your email and is recommended as it is the best option for users looking to check their email worldwide and from different computers/devices.  For additional details see: Email server settings: POP and IMAP.

What are the POP email settings for my Shaw email?
For additional server setting options see: Email server settings: POP and IMAP.  POP server settings with SSL (encrypted)

• Incoming Mail server = pop.shaw.ca
  • Server Type = pop
  • Security Type = SSL/TLS
  • Port = 995
  • Outgoing (SMTP) server = mail.shaw.ca
  • Server Type = SMTP
  • SSL = on
  • Port = 587

What are the IMAP email settings for my Shaw email?
With SSL:

• Incoming Mail server = imap.shaw.ca
  • Port = 993
  • SSL = Yes
  • Outgoing (SMTP) server = mail.shaw.ca
  • Port = 587
  • SSL = Yes

For additional server setting options see: Email server settings: POP and IMAP

What is the largest email message that I can send/receive?
The maximum email size including attachments is 20MB.  (Note that the maximum individual attachment file size in Webmail is 5MB.)

What is the size of my Shaw email mailbox?
The maximum mailbox size for Shaw email is 1GB.

How do I set up my Shaw email on my smartphone/tablet?

Apple devices: See: How to setup email on an iPhone/iPad on iOS 11

Android devices: See: How to setup email on an Android device

For other devices please see: Email Setup Instructions

My Shaw email is no longer working? How can I get my email?
There could be a number of reasons for this. Visit any of our email troubleshooting articles found here. Common issues may be resolved with:

How many messages can I have in my mailbox?
The maximum number of messages that can be stored in a mailbox is 100,000 (providing you have not exceeded your 1GB storage space).

What is Webmail?
Shaw Webmail allows you to access your email, contacts, and settings through your internet browser at webmail.shaw.ca. This online tool is perfect for checking your email while on vacation or when using a public or shared computer.

How do I access Webmail?
You can access Shaw Webmail through your Internet browser (i.e. Chrome) at webmail.shaw.ca. You can log-in using your Shaw.ca email address and your email password.

How many contacts can I store in Webmail?
The maximum number of Webmail contacts you can have is 2,000 contacts.

I’m unable to send or receive email with Shaw email account. How do I fix this?
If you are having issues sending or receiving email, use these tips to troubleshoot the issue.

1. Ensure that you have Internet access. If you are able to open up an Internet browser and navigate the web, then you are likely connected to the internet.
  2. Confirm that you are able to log on to your @shaw.ca email address through Webmail. If you are not able to do this, then it is possible that your password has been changed, or that your email account has been suspended. Please contact Shaw Support for further assistance with this.
  3. Check the Outbox folder in your email client. If you have any emails currently pending being sent please delete them or drag the emails into the Drafts folder.
  4. Temporarily disable your Antivirus program and then try sending a message again. Occasionally, antivirus settings can be too strict and may prevent you from sending emails.
  5. Confirm your server settings by following the directions for your email client, listed below. The supported email clients include Outlook Express, Outlook, Windows Live Mail, and Apple Mail.

I can no longer access my old/saved emails? Have they been deleted?
This issue could be a result of a number of issues such as your email server settings, storage limits or emails that you may have previously deleted. If you have deleted emails, you can only recover deleted emails for a period of 7 days. After this time period the emails in your trash folder will be permanently deleted. For additional information see: Webmail: How to recover deleted emails.

Related Articles

Attachments

Outcomes