Learn how to connect your Google Home assistant to your Shaw in-home WiFi. Follow the steps below to begin using your Google Home with WiFi.
This article will provide insight into:
Did You Know?
This article applies to Google Home, Google Home Mini, and Google Home Max, but should also be applicable to most third-party Google Home devices. Please note that imported Google Assistant devices may not support all of the features offered by those sold in Canada. While we have provided the following support information, we want to ensure that our customers receive the best possible support for their third-party hardware and software by speaking with the experts. If the following information does not answer your question, please visit Google Home Support.
How to connect Google Home to in-home WiFi
- Connect your Google Home to the power outlet
- Be certain that your Android device (phone or tablet) is connected to the same WiFi network that you will be using with your Google Home device
- Launch the Google Home app on your phone (you will need to install it on your Android device if you have not already done so)
- Tap Get Started in the Google Home app
- Choose the Google account with which you would like to link your Google Home device, and tap Ok
- Enable the appropriate permissions:
- Location services - If you don't have Location services turned on, tap Go to settings, find the Google Home app, turn on Location services, and go back to the Google Home app.
- Location access - Location access is needed to find nearby devices that need setup. Tap Ok
- The Google Home app scans for nearby devices that are plugged in and ready to set up.
- If no devices are found:
- If you are setting up a device, tap Yes. Make certain that you are near the Google Home device that you are setting up, and that it is connected to a wall outlet. Tap Next.
- Found devices:
- If one Google Home is found, tap Next.
- If multiple Google Homes are found, choose the one that you would like to set up, and tap Next.
- The Google Home app will now connect your phone or tablet to your Google Home device so that you can configure it.
- Your Android phone or tablet will play a sound on the Google Home so that you can make sure that you are setting up the right one.
- If you hear the sound, tap Yes.
- If you do not hear the sound, try moving closer to the Google Home. Tap Try again, followed by Scan for devices.
- Follow the prompts to configure your Google Home's region, language, and the specific room in which it is located.
- Choose your Shaw in-home WiFi network from the list, and tap Next.
- Your Shaw WiFi network's name is displayed on the sticker on your modem.
- If you do not see your Shaw in-home WiFi network, tap Other Wi-Fi Network...
- If you are using Android Lollipop (Android 5.x) you can tap Get Password to retrieve your password automatically into the Google Home app. The Google Home app can use this password for connecting future Google Home devices.
- To enter the password manually tap Enter manually, type your password, and then tap Connect.
- You can find your WiFi password on the white sticker on your modem.
- Follow the additional setup instructions in the Google Home app to configure your preferences and permissions.
- Access your music and video services.
- To add music services tap + and follow the account linking steps.
- Should you have more than one music service linked to Google Home, you will be asked to select a default music service.
- To add video services tap + and follow the account linking steps.
- In order to control your Chromecast devices with your voice, you must first link them to Google Home. Supported devices on the same WiFi network are selected automatically.
- To de-select, a device, tap the device.
- Tap Next.
- Type a name to identify your device and then tap Next.
- You may be prompted to add a video service. Follow the instructions to select your preferred video service in the Google Home app.
- At this point, you will be presented with a summary of the features that you have configured, and any additional options which may be available. Tap Continue, followed by Finish setup.
Related: Google Chromecast - Setup Guide, Getting started with Shaw In-Home WiFi and Shaw Go WiFi
*If you have customized your network name (SSID) and password and can no longer remember the login credentials you will need to restore your Wireless Modem to the default settings.
Back to top