Learn how to connect your Amazon Fire TV Stick media streaming device to your Shaw in-home WiFi.
This article will provide insight into:
Did You Know?
This article applies to the Amazon Fire TV Stick purchased in Canada. Please note that imported Amazon Fire devices may not work properly in Canada.
How to connect Amazon Fire TV Stick to in-home WiFi
Follow these steps to set up your Fire TV Stick:
- Connect the USB power cable into the micro-USB port on your Fire TV Stick. Connect the other end of the cable into the power adapter, and then plug the power adapter into a wall outlet.
- Note: Although some TVs have USB ports which can provide power to your device, they may not produce enough power for the Fire TV Stick to work properly. Always use the included power adapter. Do not connect the Fire TV Stick through an unpowered HDMI hub or switch.
- Connect your Fire TV Stick to an HDMI port on your television. The device is packaged with an extender to ensure that there is enough physical room to connect it to an available port.
- Note: Your HDMI ports are numbered, so make a note of the number of the HDMI port to which you connected your Fire TV Stick so that you can find the correct input later.
- Select the HDMI input for your Fire TV Stick using the number that you noted in the previous step. You will be presented with the "Fire TV Stick" logo and loading screen.
- After inserting the batteries into the Fire TV Stick remote control, the remote should pair automatically. If this does not occur, press and hold the Home Button for up to ten seconds to activate discovery mode.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to connect your Fire TV Stick to the Internet via your Shaw in-home WiFi connection.
- Select Settings from the Fire TV menu, and then select Network. Nearby networks will be detected automatically.
- Select your Shaw WiFi network. The name of the network is displayed on the white sticker on the modem.
- Enter the network password. This is also displayed on the white sticker on the modem.
- You will see a confirmation message when your Fire TV Stick connects to your Shaw in-home WiFi network.
- The Fire TV Stick will provide instructions to register using your Amazon account.
- When you have completed setting your Amazon Fire TV Stick up you will see a short welcome video which will provide tips about using your new device.
Related: How to Connect To In-Home WiFi
*If you have customized your network name (SSID) and password and can no longer remember the login credentials you will need to restore your Wireless Modem to the default settings.
Back to top