|Browse these frequently asked questions to learn more about Internet and browser security.|
What is Internet security?
Internet security is the act of protecting yourself from online threats include hackers, spammers and other online threats that may be malicious in nature.
What is “cybercrime”?
Cybercrime is any illegal activity that involves a computer or network-connected device, such as a mobile phone. Examples of cybercrime include:
- Activities used to launch an attack against another computer or network, either to gain access or to interrupt services.
- Theft of one's personal identity or financial resources/information
- Spread of malicious software
- Use of others' computers to send spam email messages
- Cyber bullying
How can I protect myself from cybercrime activity?
You can protect yourself with these Internet Security best practices:
- Use strong passwords. Protect all your digital devices and accounts with strong unique passwords. See: Password Requirements for My Shaw and @shaw.ca Email Accounts.
- Keep your devices virus-free. Run an antivirus program to watch for viruses and keep your other software up to date to close security holes. McAfee Internet Security is a complete virus and online protection suite which is supported by McAfee and available free of charge as an additional benefit included with your Shaw Internet service.
- Only download software from trusted sources. Whether you're installing new software on your phone or your computer, make sure you're getting it from a source you trust.
- Use secure WiFi connections. Free WiFi services are convenient, but you don’t always know who is watching that Internet traffic. Shaw provides secure WiFi hotspots to our Internet customers. Learn more: How to connect to a Shaw Go WiFi hotspot.
- Be wary of information requests/online scams. When asked to provide personal information, whether in person, on the phone or online, consider how much information you need to give it out. Learn how to identify phishing or scam emails that ask for confidential information such as your account username, account number, and email password.
Why is it important to keep your software up to date?
Many cyber-attacks take advantage of software vulnerabilities in applications, like operating systems and browsers. These programs require regular updates to keep them secure and stable. Software updates can also include new or enhanced features, removal of outdated ones, stability improvement and better compatibility with different devices or applications.
- Keep your software up-to-date, this will protect you from the latest threats.
- When possible, select auto-update for software on your devices. If auto-update is not available, make it a habit to regularly check for and apply available updates.
- Only download software from trusted and official sources.
What can I do to keep my home wireless network safe?
There are a number of practices that you can use to protect and secure your wireless network:
- Change the default name for your WiFi network (also know as SSID). Learn more with
How to change the wireless network name
How to secure your wireless network
- Create a strong and unique password - Every router comes with a default username and password for use with the initial setup.
Once your initial setup is complete, change the username and password immediately.
A secure Wi-Fi password should be 12 or more characters and should include upper and lowercase letters, numbers and special characters. Example: 7Hi$mYH0m3W!fI
- Place your router in the middle of your home – as you do not want your signal to reach too far outside your home, where it can be intercepted.
- Keep your router’s software up to date - To find the updates for your router you will want to navigate to the manufactures website and download the update while connected to the network.
How do I change the password on my Internet modem?
How to change your WiFi password on a SMC Modem
How to change your WiFi password on a Cisco Modem
How to change your WiFi password on a Arris Modem
How to change your WiFi password on a Hitron Modem
How do I update my Web browser?
Keeping your Web browser up to date is very important to ensure that your online experience is both safe and reliable. Learn more with our browser security tips or by visiting How to update your Web browser.