Learn how to reset a Motorola SBV 5120 Digital Phone Terminal (DPT). If you find that you have no dial tone on your home phones, you may be able to restore your phone service with a simple reset of your Digital Phone Terminal. This guide refers directly to the Motorola SBV5120 model seen in the diagrams below. Please click the following links if your service is provided via an alternative model such as the Motorola SBV 5220, Arris TM502 or Arris TM602 Digital Phone Terminals.
This article will provide insight into:
How to reset using a power cycle
|Follow these steps to reset your SBV 5120 Digital Phone Terminal by disconnecting the power supply:|
- Once you have located and identified your Digital Phone Terminal, please disconnect the black power cable from the back of the device. The Motorola SBV5120 uses a power cable with a clip located on the side of the plug. Please depress this clip to release the plug from its connector. Once the power cable has been disconnected, all of the lights on the front of the DPT should be off.
- Wait thirty seconds before restoring power to the DPT by reconnecting the power cable to its original connection on the back of the DPT.
- Wait two to three minutes for the TEL1 and TEL2 lights to start flashing simultaneously before testing the dial tone on your phones. If your phone service is still unavailable after an additional five minutes, please Contact Us
The Motorola SBV 5120's battery is external and part of the power supply. When the power supply is unplugged it will reset the battery at the same time.
Visual Guide to the SBV5120's Power Supply
Back to top
How to reset using a pinhole reset
You can reset your Digital Phone Terminal using the pinhole reset button as follows:
- Locate your Digital Phone Terminal
- Locate the small hole on the back of the DPT (see photos below)
- Using a pin, depress the button located at the base of this hole for 20 seconds.
- You will see the lights on the modem begin to flash as the system resets.
Wait 5-10 minutes for the DPT to come online (Power, DS, US, and Online lights will stop flashing and return to a solid state to indicate an online status).
- Check your phones for a functioning dial tone.
If your phones still do not have access to a working dial tone, or the lights indicated above continue to flash, please refer to the How To Remove the Battery from your DPT guide for instructions relating to the process of fully resetting your Digital Phone Terminal.
Visual Guide to the SBV5120's Pinhole Reset
Back to top