Learn about your PVR recording options with your Shaw Gateway Digital Box. Shaw offers a selection of Digital Cable Boxes which can record live television so you can watch your favourite shows when it is most convenient to you. This guide will apply to the Shaw Gateway Personal Video Recorders (PVR) manufactured by Arris (Gateway and Gateway HDPVR).
This article will provide insight into:
Recording with your Shaw Gateway
Can't view this video? Click here.
How to pause and rewind live television
When you tune to any channel, your Shaw Gateway will automatically begin a background recording so if you would like to replay something that just happened live, the automatic buffer will be waiting.
To rewind live TV:
- Simply press the LEFT arrow button on your remote or you can use the traditional REW button in the playback controls. This will begin to reverse playback and you can press LEFT arrow button repeatedly to increase the speed at which the PVR will rewind. Below is an example of the on-screen graphic that displays your progress with REW active. The yellow portion of the display indicates the amount of available buffer through which you can REW/PLAY/PAUSE/FFWD.
- To stop rewinding and start playing the recording, simply press the PLAY button on your remote control. If you have rewound too far, you can fast forward in the timeline until such a point that the playback has matched live TV. To fast forward in a recording, press the FFWD on your Shaw Remote. If you would like to pause live TV, press the PAUSE button on your remote control. Conversely, to resume playback after pausing, press the PLAY button.
Lastly, if at any time you would like to return to live playback of this television channel, just press the LIVE button on your remote (found in the top right on the Gateway Remote, above a button marked D).
If you change the channel at any time, the automatic buffer will reset and being recording the new channel, thus you are unable to change to a channel and immediately begin rewinding the playback.
Back to top
How to record live television
Watching a program which you would like to save for later? At any time while watching TV you can press the REC button (red circle) on your remote to begin recording the program until it is finished (or until you cancel the recording). Pressing INFO will present the record menu in which you can choose to Record Once or Record Series.
With Record Once highlighted, press OK on your remote to start recording the active channel and program. You will see on screen confirmation stating Recording Confirmed. To stop or end a current recording, press the STOP button on your remote and select Yes from the menu that is presented on screen.
Unlike the live buffer explained above, recording a television show will add it to your list of available recordings so that you can watch it as many times as you like and it will be stored on the hard drive built into your Gateway system. A recording of this manner will automatically end when the program is scheduled to end (as described in the Guide). So if you press the REC button on a program that runs from 7-8pm, the recording will automatically stop at 8pm. To view your list of available recordings, press the PVR button in the top-left area of your Gateway Remote.
Seen above, the PVR menu uses folders (left side of screen) to sort recordings by show title, in this example, Rift Valley. With the Rift Valley folder highlighted, the available episodes are displayed on the right below the active channel window. To view and select from these episodes, press the RIGHT arrow on your remote.
In this view you will see a description of each recording, its length, rating, and whether or not this specific episode was a repeat or a new episode. From here you can select the episode you would like to watch and press OK on your remote to start playing the recording. When you have finished watching a recording and the playback ends, you will be presented with the option to delete or keep the recording.
Back to top
How to schedule an upcoming recording
One of the best features of the Shaw Gateway is the ability to set a recording time for a future program. To schedule an upcoming program to be recorded:
- Locate that program in the Guide (you can use the RIGHT arrow button to move forward in the Guide listing)
- While the intended program is highlighted, press the REC button on your remote. This will launch the record menu seen below,
- Choose Record Once to record this instance of the program.
You will now see confirmation that the single instance recording has been set and a small indicator icon will be added next to the guide listing for the program you have defined for recording (see below).
To cancel an upcoming recording, simply highlight the soon-to-be recorded program in the guide and press OK on your remote. You will be presented with the recording menu and can select the option for Cancel Recording (seen below).
Back to top
Back to top