This guide will explain how to connect your Sony Xperia Play phone to WiFi and also demonstrate how to setup your Shaw email account through an exchange server. Click on the links below to be redirected to the relevant instructions.
For more information, see Xperia PLAY Product Support.
Did You Know?
Microsoft Exchange (ActiveSync) is the most convenient way to setup your email and is recommended as it is the best option for users looking to check mail worldwide and from different computers/devices.
Learn More: What email setup is right for me?
Preferred email setup: Microsoft Exchange
The Microsoft Exchange setup procedure described below is the preferred setup method for your Shaw.ca email address. Exchange offers advanced mail handling, less confusion for accounts connected to multiple devices, and synchronization with calendars and contacts. Any emails sent from this device will appear on Webmail and any emails deleted from the device will also be deleted from Webmail and the server.
To configure your phone/tablet to send and receive emails using an Exchange Server:
- Select the APPS button on your Xperia Play phone
- Choose Mail
- Enter your full Shaw email address and password
- Choose Manual Setup
- Tap Exchange ActiveSync
- Enter the following:
- Server Address: wm.shaw.ca
- Domain: shaw.ca
- Username: Your Shaw email address without @shaw.ca
- Use Secure Connection (SSL): Yes (add a check mark)
- Accept all SSL certificates: Yes (add a check mark)
- Choose Next
- Choose which services you would like to sync (Mail, Contacts and Calendar)
- Press Finish
Related: Alternative POP and IMAP Settings
Back to top
To connect your Sony Ericsson Xperia Play to your wireless (WiFi) network, follow these steps:
- Press the APPS button on your Xperia Play
- Select Settings
- Select Wireless & Networks
- Select Wi-Fi (turn on Wi-Fi). Your device will let you know that Wi-Fi networks are available
- Select Wi-Fi Settings (setup & manage wireless access points)
- Tap on the network that you would like to connect to from the available list
- If you are using a Shaw Wireless Modem you will be able to find your network name by looking at the white sticker on the top of the modem*
- Enter the network password (unless the network is open and requires no password)
- If you are using a Shaw Wireless Modem you will be able to find your network password by looking at the white sticker on the top of the modem*
- Press Connect
Related: How to connect to a Shaw Go WiFi Hotspot
Did You Know?
* If you have customized your network name (SSID) and/or password and can no longer remember the login credentials, you will need to restore it to factory settings.
Learn More: Restore your wireless modem to the default settings
Back to top