Learn how to install your Shaw Gateway HDPVR (XG1-A). Use the quick links below for additional information.
This article will provide insight into:
Did You Know
With the MyShaw app, you can chat with support, pay your bills and manage your Shaw products.
Learn More: My Shaw app - Download and Setup
If you need more than one TV connected, a professional installation is required. Please chat with us to book an appointment.
- Hook up your new Gateway HDPVR.
- Write down the Gateway’s serial number (Host SN) and your Shaw account number. The serial number is located at the back of the Gateway (next to number 3) and starts with the letter, “M.” Your Shaw account number is an 11-digit number in this format: XXX-XXXX-XXXX. You can find it on the Canada Post sticker on the shipping box, near your address information.
- Place the Gateway HDPVR in a well-ventilated location.
- Connect the coax cable cord to “Cable In” at the back of the Gateway and to a cable wall outlet.
- Connect the HDMI cable to, “HDMI Out to TV” at the back of the Gateway and then to an HDMI port on your TV. Take note of the port you selected.
- Connect the power cord to the back of the Gateway and then plug it into a power outlet. The Gateway will power on automatically.
- Activate your Gateway HDPVR.
- Turn on the TV and tune it to the matching HDMI port you selected in Step 1.d.
- Once you see, “To set up this Shaw Gateway...,” on the TV screen, move on to the next step.
- Sign in to your account at my.shaw.ca.
Once signed in, select TV in the left panel. Then select Self-Install TV Equipment in the TV Equipment section and follow the instructions. During the activation process, the Gateway will reset (screen may go black or freeze momentarily). When you see the time displayed, and the blue power icon lit on the front of the Gateway, the activation process is complete. Enjoy your shows.
Related: Hardware Information - Gateway HDPVR
Back to top
Frequently Asked Questions
Why can’t the power button on the remote turn the Gateway on or off?
- The power button on the remote will control the TV only. The Gateway is always on but will go into sleep mode when it’s not being used.
How can I program my Shaw Universal Remote to my TV?
- To program your Shaw Universal Remote to work with the TV, follow the “Quick Setup” instructions on the reverse of the remote or visit urcsupport.com/shaw
Related: How to program your Shaw remote control
Back to top