Learn how to install your Advanced WiFi Modem (Arris Surfboard SBG6782). Use the quick links below for additional information.
This article will provide insight into:
Did You Know
With the MyShaw app, you can chat with support, pay your bills and manage your Shaw products.
Learn More: My Shaw app - Download and Setup
- Find the right spot to place your modem.
- Choose a central location in your home
- Must be near a cable and power outlet
- Ensure it is visible and elevated off the ground
- Avoid placing in a cabinet or hiding behind another object
- Avoid basement and underground locations
- Away from appliances, electrical equipment, and metal stainless steel objects
- Let’s get connected.
- Connect the coax cable from a cable wall outlet to the Cable In port at the back of the modem. Make sure the connection is hand-tightened.
- Connect the power cord to the modem and wall power outlet.
- The modem will automatically activate.
- This process can take from 5-20 minutes. When you see the first four modem lights in solid colour, the activation is complete and you can move on to the next step.
- If you do not see any light sequence happen at the front of your modem within the first 5-7 minutes, chat with us .
- Connect your devices to WiFi by accessing the WiFi settings on your personal device. Select the SSID network labelled on the front or top of your modem. When prompted for a password or passphrase, enter the WiFi Key. Repeat this step for each device.
- (Optional) You also can connect your laptop or desktop computer directly to the modem using an ethernet cable.
Related: Hardware Information - Arris SBG6782 Advanced WiFi Modem
Back to top
Frequently Asked Questions
What is my WiFi network name and password?
- The SSID is the network name that you’ll connect your device(s) to. The password/passphrase for the network is labelled as the WiFi Key. There is a sticker located on your modem and it contains the WiFi information mentioned above.
How can I customize my SSID and/or password?
- Please read this article for tips to change the wireless network name and/or network password on your Arris Advanced WiFi modem.
Why are there two SSID or network names on my modem? Which one should I use?
- Many Shaw modems broadcast a 2.4 GHz (SSID-2.4) or a 5 GHz (SSID-5) frequency, and some modems support both. For modems that support both frequencies, 2.4 GHz offers better range or coverage while 5GHz delivers faster speed. We recommend using 2.4GHz for devices that frequently move around your home and 5GHz for those that are more stationary - especially if they will be streaming video.
Do you need to return an older modem?
- Please return your old modem as soon as possible to avoid unreturned equipment charges. We will recycle the old modem.
- All you need to do is place the old modem and power cord into a sturdy cardboard box. Please ensure there is cushioning material around the modem. Then seal the box, affix the shipping label provided and drop it off at any Canada Post mailbox or outlet.
Related: IP Passthrough for Arris SBG6782
Back to top