Learn how to install your Advanced WiFi Modem (Hitron CGNM-2250) so that you can connect to your WiFi network. Use the quick links below for additional information.
This article will provide insight into:
Did You Know
With the My Shaw app, you can chat with support, pay your bills and manage your Shaw products.
Learn More: My Shaw app - Download and Setup
- Find the right spot to place your modem.
- Choose a central location in your home
- Must be near a cable and power outlet
- Ensure it is visible and elevated off the ground
- Avoid placing in a cabinet or hiding behind another object
- Avoid basement and underground locations
- Away from appliances, electrical equipment, and metal stainless steel objects
- Let’s get connected.
- Connect the coax cable from a cable wall outlet to the Cable In port at the back of the modem. Make sure the connection is hand-tightened.
- Connect the power cord to the modem and wall power outlet.
- Activate your modem.
- If you're a new customer setting up service for the first time, you can activate your Internet using My Shaw. Open the My Shaw app (iTunes | Android).or My Shaw website (my.shaw.ca) to:
- Create your My Shaw ID and password; and
- Complete the activation process.
- If you already have Shaw service, please contact us at 1-844-574-7429 or chat with us to activate your modem.
- Connect your devices to WiFi.
- Connect to your WiFi by accessing the WiFi settings on your personal device. Select the SSID network labelled on the front of your modem. When prompted for a password or passphrase, enter the WiFi Key. Repeat this step for each device.
- (Optional) You also can connect your laptop or desktop computer directly to the modem using an ethernet cable.
Related: Hardware Information - Hitron CGNM-2250 DOCSIS 3.0 WiFi Modem
Back to top
Frequently Asked Questions
What is my WiFi network name and password?
- The SSID is the network name that you’ll connect your device(s) to. The password/passphrase for the network is labelled as the WiFi Key. There is a sticker located on your modem and it contains the WiFi information mentioned above.
How can I customize my SSID and/or password?
- Please read this article for more information on how to change the wireless network name and/or network password of your Hitron Advanced WiFi modem.
Why are there two SSID or network names on my modem? Which one should I use?
- Many Shaw modems broadcast a 2.4 GHz (SSID-2.4) or a 5 GHz (SSID-5) frequency, and some modems support both. For modems that support both frequencies, 2.4 GHz offers better range or coverage while 5GHz delivers faster speed. We recommend using 2.4GHz for devices that frequently move around your home and 5GHz for those that are more stationary - especially if they will be streaming video.
Do you need to return an older modem?
- Please return your old modem as soon as possible to avoid unreturned equipment charges. We will recycle the old modem.
- All you need to do is place the old modem and power cord into a sturdy cardboard box. Please ensure there is cushioning material around the modem. Then seal the box, affix the shipping label provided and drop it off at any Canada Post mailbox or outlet.
Related: How to set Parental Controls on a Hitron CGNM-2250 Shaw wireless modem
Back to top