Password Requirements for My Account and @shaw.ca Email Accounts

Document created by [shaw]jamess on Jan 29, 2013Last modified by [shaw]bryce on Jun 16, 2016
Version 23Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Shaw is committed to protecting our customer’s personal information and is actively engaged in addressing the needs of all of its customers.

In order to assist you in protecting your personal information, we have implemented specific password requirements that must be met when choosing your My Account credentials and your @shaw.ca e-mail Accounts.

We would like to help you gain a stronger understanding in choosing a secure password.

On This Page

Password Creation for My Account and @shaw.ca Email Accounts

How to Choose a Secure Password for My Account and @shaw.ca Email Accounts

Password Security Best Practices

Password Creation for My Account and @shaw.ca Email Accounts

When choosing a password for My Account or your @shaw.ca email account, you are required to create a password that meets specific security criteria at a minimum. We do however recommend that you choose a password that will exceed the lowest security rating to ensure the maximum protection possible. A security rating of "Too Weak" will not be considered an acceptable password and will be rejected.

In order to exceed the minimum password requirements, we recommend choosing a passphrase type password containing several unrelated randomly chosen words, capital letters, numbers and symbols for added complexity.

This concept also applies when attempting to change an existing My Account or @shaw.ca Email account password.

For more information, refer to How to Create a Secure My Account and @shaw.ca Email Account Password.

How to Choose a Secure Password for My Account and @shaw.ca Email Accounts

The thought of having to remember a longer password is challenging. The more complex the password is, the greater risk of it being written down or stored in an insecure manner which is undesirable.

A hassle free way to overcome this is by using ‘Passphrase' type passwords. This method enables you to remember a longer password with ease. A passphrase combines everyday thoughts together that are easy to remember. Once you decide on a basic sentence, add numbers and symbols in places that make sense to you. Below are some passphrase examples to help you create one on your own.

Password Examples:

Password ExamplesSecurity RatingHuman Perception
daisiesTOO WEAKEasy
$xtp32#6602k&C5HoSECUREAwful
BitandBudRCoo1!OKAYEasy
1Lovecake&1cecreamOKAYEasy
My Dog Spot is Amazing 2014!:)SECUREEasy
!_<3_white_Daizyz_1n_theSpringtimeSECUREMedium
0c3anCatP1ZZASevenBlue1999!SECUREEasy

Please Note: Do NOT use any of these examples for your own password.

The minimum password requirements must be met in order for your password to be accepted. An accepted password will need to meet a minimum security rating of “OKAY”. A rating of “TOO WEAK” will not be considered an acceptable password and will be rejected.

Password Security Best Practices

Maintaining a secure password is critical in order to ensure the best protection possible. Below are some tips on how to reduce the risk of being compromised.

Change your password often.

This is essential for added security. It is not always evident that someone has obtained access to your account and may be using your account without your knowledge.

Do not re-use old passwords.

Choosing to use a different password each time will help reduce the risk of a compromise. This includes using a previously used password which may have already been compromised without your knowledge.

Choose the Strongest Password you can remember.

Although a security rating of "OKAY" will be accepted, keep in mind that strong complex passwords are more secure and offer the maximum level of protection possible.

Use as much Complexity as possible.

The best passwords are complex, random, contain several words and incorporate; numbers, upper case characters, lower case characters, and symbols.

Do not duplicate passwords across multiple accounts.

By using a unique password for each account you manage, this method will help prevent someone from easily gaining access to all of your accounts that share the same password.

Never write down your password.

Typically, you would not leave your house key taped to your front door, please do not write down your password or save it on your mobile device for others to find.

Be aware of your surroundings.

Do not enter your password while using a public network or untrusted computer.  Internet traffic and what you are typing may be intercepted and used to obtain the username and password of your accounts. This also holds true when you are in a public location where someone may physically see what you are entering.

Do not share your password with anyone.

Do not trust un-encrypted access methods.

If the URL (website) address does not start with https://, it's not secure.

Stay away from a password that may be easy to guess.

Unless embedded into a passphrase in a random order, stay clear from using passwords that someone may be able to guess easily such as; phone numbers, birth dates, street addresses, or anything else that may be easily guessed.

This is essential for added security. It is not always evident that someone has obtained access to your account and may be using your account without your knowledge.

Related Articles

Shaw Account Settings (My Account)

Mail Help - ActiveSync, POP and IMAP

Before You Setup Your Mobile Device...

Webmail 2.0

Still Need A Little Help?

See what other customers are asking, or sign-in to ask

your own question, in the Internet forum.

int-forum.png

Attachments

Outcomes