Shaw Internet Troubleshooting FAQs

Document created by shaw-jamesp on Jan 31, 2019Last modified by shaw-jamesp on Feb 1, 2019
Version 2Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Learn more about troubleshooting Internet issues from WiFi connectivity and network issues to improving download speeds with our Internet troubleshooting frequently asked questions.

Did You Know:

You can view past bills, set up Auto payment, set up your eBill, and view your current bill status using the My Shaw app. Download the My Shaw app on the Apple App Store or get it on Google Play for your Android device. 

Internet Troubleshooting Frequently Asked Questions

Why is my Internet out? How can I find out about outages in my area?
Outages can be a result of scheduled maintenance or unexpected events such as faulty equipment, unscheduled maintenance, power outages or network connectivity issues. To keep up-to-date with service outages in your area, you can follow the space specific to your area/region on the community. Visit How to subscribe to outage notifications for additional information.

To see activity for your region please visit our main Service Updates page and select your region.

For additional details see: Shaw Service Updates & Outages FAQs 

My Internet is not working and I checked for outages in my area, but there does not appear to be any outages in my area. What can I do to troubleshoot?
Frequent Internet disconnections can occur as a result of hardware issues, as well as connection issues. Visit our article on Troubleshooting Internet connectivity issues for common troubleshooting tips.

How can I check if my Internet modem is functioning properly?

1. If you have a laptop or PC, try to plug your computer into your Internet modem with an Ethernet cable.
  2. Disconnect and reconnect these cables to ensure they are seated correctly.
  3. Open up your browser (i.e. Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge) and try to browse to the Internet. If you still cannot access the Internet please see: WiFi Connectivity Troubleshooting.

How do I reset my Internet modem?

1. Unplug the power cable from the back of the Modem
  2. Wait 30 seconds
  3. Reconnect the power cable to the Modem
  4. Allow 2-3 minutes for the modem to full reboot
  5. Test your connection

How can I check my Internet speed?
Visit http://speedtest.shaw.ca/ to check your Internet speeds.

What is WiFi?
WiFi alludes to wireless technology. It is the technology that lets you send network data (data over the Internet) wirelessly between devices. A WiFi connection is recommended for mobile devices such as laptops, phones, and tablets. Learn more: Optimizing your WiFi experience.

How do I change my WiFi password?
To change the password for the wireless network on your Shaw wireless modem, you will need to log into the admin console which will allow you to configure various settings related to your wireless network. Visit How to change your WiFi password for additional details.

Does Shaw have Internet usage restrictions?
Please see our Acceptable Use Policy for Internet in addition to our Terms of Use for usage restrictions. You can view your Internet data usage in My Shaw.

I’m having problems sending and receiving my Shaw email, how can I fix this?
There are a variety of reasons that an email client may stop sending or receiving emails including connection problems, folder corruption, and server setting issues. Please see: Email Client: Send/Receive Troubleshooting for additional support.

How can I get the most out of my Shaw Internet experience?
Check out our article on how to get the most out of your Internet.

Related Articles

Attachments

Outcomes