Copyright Notification F.A.Q.

Document created by shaw-fraser on Apr 9, 2013Last modified by shaw-bryce on Jun 16, 2016
Version 20Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

What is copyright infringement?

Copyright infringement occurs when protected content is copied, downloaded and/or shared without legal consent from the rights holder.

Why have I received this notification?

You have received a copyright notification as Shaw has been notified by a rights holder that your Internet Protocol (IP) address has been associated with an alleged copyright infringement, and Shaw is legally obligated to forward a copy of the content owner’s notice.

Content owners, not Shaw, monitor various websites that use sharing services and inform us when a Shaw IP has been associated with a possible copyright infringement.

What is the purpose of the “Notice and Notice” Regime?

One purpose of the “Notice and Notice” regime is to discourage online copyright infringement and to raise awareness in situations where Internet customers’ accounts may be being used by others in a way that infringes copyright.

What are the details of the copyright infringement claim?

Right holders must provide certain details about an alleged infringement in the notice that they provide to Internet Service Providers (ISPs), including the title of the work allegedly infringed, the alleged time of infringement and the IP address that was allegedly involved in the infringement.

Shaw is unaware of and will not seek any further details related to the copyright infringement claim, nor will Shaw assess the merits of the claim.

Has my information been provided to the rights holder?

Shaw will not provide any information regarding customers' accounts to rights holders without a Canadian court order directing us to do so.

What are the details of the copyright infringement claim?

Right holders will provide certain details about an alleged infringement including title, source, timestamp, and IP. Shaw is unaware of and will not seek any further details related to the copyright infringement claim, nor will Shaw assess the merits of the claim.

Are you monitoring my Internet usage?

Other than quantity of data transfer, Shaw does not monitor your internet usage. The content owner associated with this message has determined that your IP was involved in a copyright infringement claim.

What should I do now?

Shaw is unable to advise you on a course of action, but if you have questions concerning this matter, you may wish to contact the content owner directly. Contact information for the rights owner can be found attached to the notification email.

You can also learn more by visiting the Government of Canada website regarding copyright notifications: Notice and Notice Regime

I believe someone else has used my Internet connection. What should I do?

If you believe that someone else has caused this infringement claim by using your Internet connection please ensure that your wireless network is secured (password protected) and that you are using antivirus software such as Shaw Secure to protect your PC. See below for more information.

Securing Your Wireless Network
Installing Shaw Secure

If you have any additional questions you can email at us at copyright@sjrb.ca, and please indicate that you have already read the above Copyright FAQ document.

Rightsholder Information

As a rightsholder, where do I send infringement notifications to Shaw?

All infringement notifications should be forwarded to copyright.infringement@sjrb.ca

What constitutes a valid notice?

To be effective, a “notice” must be a written communication to a service provider’s designated agent that includes “substantially” the following:

1. physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner;
  2. identification of the copyrighted work alleged to be infringed;
  3. identification of the material claimed to be infringing or which is the subject of infringing activity;
  4. information sufficient to allow the ISP’s designated agent to contact the complaining party, e.g., address, telephone number, and e-mail address;
  5. a statement that the complaining party has a good faith belief that use of the material is unauthorized; and
  6. a statement that the information in the notice is accurate and, under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner.

To be effective, a notice must contain substantially all the information referenced above.  If this information is not obtained after “reasonable” attempts, the service provider will not be considered to have actual knowledge of infringement or infringing activity and need not follow its notification procedure.

What is the preferred format for receiving infringement notifications?

To make automated computer processing of claims more straightforward, this core information is often duplicated in a specific format intended for machine parsing:  see Automated Copyright Notice System (ACNS).  Such ACNS-formatted information is usually part of the body of the claim e-mail, but sometimes appears as an e-mail attachment.  Some institutions use this as part of their automated claims processing.

Still Need A Little Help?

See what other customers are asking, or sign-in to ask

your own question, in the Internet forum.

int-forum.png

Attachments

Outcomes