Two-step verification for My Shaw (Web)

Document created by shaw-jamesp on Mar 5, 2019Last modified by shaw-colin on Apr 23, 2019
Version 3Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Two-step verification for My Shaw (Web) is coming soon! We'll update this page once the feature has launched. Two-step verification adds a new, stronger level of security when signing into My Shaw (web) with your Shaw ID.

Note:

• You will not be prompted to use two-step verification when using the My Shaw App. Two-step verification is only used with the My Shaw website.

What is two-step verification?

Set up two-step verification

Managing two-step verification

Removing two-step verification

FAQ   

What is two-step verification?

Two-step verification is a way to confirm who a person is by asking for two pieces of identification to access a particular system. It is much like paying with a debit card: only the correct combination of a bank card and a PIN allows the transaction to proceed.

When two-step verification is enabled on a Shaw ID, My Shaw will detect when someone is attempting to sign in (with the correct Shaw ID and password) with a new browser and will prompt for the six-digit code sent to the customer’s registered mobile phone or email address.

Unlike traditional username/password authentication models, two-step verification requires users to provide two independent means to confirm their identity. The authentication system validates the two separate sets of credentials and grants access only if both are confirmed to be valid. Two-step verification thereby reduces the risk of another person accessing a customer’s account even if they know the account’s password.

Note:

• Two-step verification is only available on My Shaw (web).
    • It will not prompt for Two-step verification when using the My Shaw App, Shaw Go WiFi, FreeRange TV, or any channel apps.
  • Two-step verification is an optional feature for our customers. While we recommend using it, it is not mandatory.

Set up two-step verification 

Two-step verification will ask you to provide an email address or a mobile phone number to link with your Shaw ID profile. With this, you are giving Shaw a way to send you a six-digit PIN, with which you can confirm your identity.

1. Sign into your My Shaw account at my.shaw.ca
  2. A pop-up will appear to Enable two-step verification
    • If you clicked Skip for now, you can set up by visiting My Profile > My Shaw IDs > click Set Up under 2-Step Verification and then click Set up beside SMS or Email (your preferred method).

two-step verification first time prompt

1. Use one of the two additional verification options.
    1. Use SMS Text Message
      1. Enter your phone number and click on Send code
      2. A six digit code will be sent to your phone number and will expire after 30 minutes
    2. Use Email Account
      1. Enter your email address and click on Send code
      2. A six digit code will be sent to your email and will expire after 30 minutes

two-step verification first time prompt for SMS phone text messagetwo-step verification first time prompt for email

1. Enter the six-digit code and select Verify
    • If more than 30 minutes have passed or if you've entered the code incorrectly three times, click on Resend verification code to generate a new six-digit code
  2. Once entered correctly, you will see a green success banner reflecting the method you signed up under

two-step verification sms successfully added(Click to enlarge)

Managing two-step verification

In this section you will find the steps on how to add a second contact method, how to edit your contact info, and how to switch the primary contact method.

How to add a second contact method

1. In My Shaw, click on My Profile
  2. Scroll down to the My Shaw IDs section
  3. Click on SMS or Email beside the Shaw ID in the 2-Step Verification column
    • It will display whichever method is currently set as the primary
  4. Click on Set up beside the method that isn't currently enabled

Manage two-step verification setup email

(Click to enlarge)

(In this example, the customer has SMS enabled and is setting up Email)

1. Enter the email address and click Send code

Manage two-step verification setup email(Click to enlarge)

1. Enter the six-digit code that appeared in your email and click Verify

setup email two-step verification(Click to enlarge)

1. Upon entering the six-digit code successfully, you will receive confirmation that it has been set up.

success banner email two-step verification added

(Click to enlarge)

both two-step verification methods enabled SMS primary

(Click to enlarge)

How to edit your contact information

4. Click on Edit for the option you want to update

Manage two-step verification edit button(Click to enlarge)

1. Enter the new information in and click Send code
  2. Enter the six-digit code that appeared in your SMS/Email and click Verify
  3. Upon entering the six-digit code successfully, you will receive confirmation that it has been set up.

How to switch the primary contact method

two-step verification my shaw ids section(Click to enlarge)

1. Use the Radio button on the left to toggle the primary method. Once changed, click Save.

Manage two-step verification sms primary

(Click to enlarge)

Manage two-step verification email primary

(Click to enlarge)

1. Depending on your current primary method, you will see a confirmation window of the change

Changing from Email primary to SMS primary

Manage two-step verification switch primary from SMS to Email

(Click to enlarge)

Changing from SMS primary to Email primary

Manage two-step verification switch primary from Email to SMS

(Click to enlarge)

Removing two-step verification
  4. Click on Remove beside the method you wish to disable for Two-Step Verification
  5. Confirm the change by clicking on Remove Email (SMS becomes primary by default), Remove SMS (Email becomes primary by default), or Yes (Two-Step Verification will not remain on the account)
    • If both SMS and Email are set up, removing one will make the other method the new default primary
    • Removing Two-Step Verification entirely will prompt a message advising it makes the account more vulnerable

Remove Email

(SMS becomes primary by default)

remove two-step verification email method

(Click to enlarge)

Remove SMS

(Email becomes primary by default)

remove two-step verification sms method

(Click to enlarge)

Yes

(Two-step verification removed entirely)

remove two-step verification entirely

(Click to enlarge)

FAQ

What do the verification SMS texts and emails look like?

See below for an example of the SMS text and email verifications

SMS Text Message for two-step verification

(Click to enlarge)

Email Message for two-step verification

(Click to enlarge)

What if my two-step verification doesn't work?

You can select the ‘Resend Verification Code’ on the pop-up page that requests verification. We recommend adding both text (SMS) and email as a way to verify your identity. This means that if you cannot receive a code via text (SMS), you will have the option to get the code via email. You will be able to choose your favourite method of verification (text or email) in your My Shaw (web) profile. The six-digit PIN will only be sent to your secondary method if you request it.

If your verification fails more than three times, our system will display an error. When you see this error, you can resend a new verification code or contact us for further assistance.

Will I have to use two-step verification every time I log into My Shaw (web)?
My Shaw (web) will give you the option to remember this device after verification. Look for a checkbox located under the ‘Sign In’ button, labelled ‘Don’t ask me again on this browser’. Checking this box will allow My Shaw (web) to remember this device. This means you will no longer have to enter a verification code while logging into My Shaw (web) on this device. 

Note:

• You will not be prompted to use two-step verification when using the My Shaw App. Two-step verification is only used with the My Shaw website.

You can remove this feature by using the Forget all trusted browsers option found on the same screen where you can add, remove, or edit existing Two-Step Verification methods.

Do I have to set up two-step verification?
Two-step verification is an optional feature that will make your account more secure. This feature is provided as an optional means of adding extra security to your online account, and My Shaw (web) will only prompt for a validation code when a new device attempts to log in.

Related Articles

Attachments

Outcomes