Use this article to learn about the settings for the Shaw Gateway Digital Box including how to access settings on your Shaw Gateway cable box. Find information about the variety of settings that you can use to customize your Gateway experience. For a quick tutorial on the settings for your Arris Gateway or Gateway HDPVR, please see the video below.
This article will provide insight into:
How to access the settings menu
To access the settings menu on your Shaw Gateway system:
- Press the MENU button on your Gateway remote
- Use the RIGHT and LEFT arrows on your remote to navigate to Settings
- After a moment the settings options will appear
Watch this video to learn more about the settings for your Shaw Gateway
Can't view this video? Click here
Back to top
Available Settings on the Shaw Gateway
Below you will find a list of options appearing in the Gateways settings menu, as well as a brief description of what they will allow you to customize.
- Parental Controls: Setup Parental Controls on your Shaw Gateway to prevent the ordering or viewing of certain content without a PIN. See this article for more information: How to Setup Parental Controls on the Shaw Gateway
- Recording Space: Allows you to see how much of your PVR recording storage you have used, as a percentage.
- TV Setup: Select your TV viewing quality (1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i)
- Aspect Ratio: Choose between the standard (4:3) and widescreen (16:9) aspect ratios
- Standard allows you to choose how to display HD content between letterbox or cropped
- Widescreen allows you to choose how to display non-HD content between stretch, maintain or off
- Recording Defaults: Set your default recording preferences. For example, start and stop times (on time or early), keep times (until deleted, until space is needed, etc), episode limit and more
- Audio Output: Select between Dolby Digital, stereo, and mono audio outputs
- Front Panel: Modify the brightness of your clock which appears on the front display of your portal (high, medium, low, off)
- Local Network Status: Allows you to see your network interface, DNS, active connection and refresh the connection.
- Skip: Set the amount of time that passes when you press the SKIP button on your Gateway remote. Options include 30 seconds, 3 minutes, 5 minutes and 15 minutes
- Closed Caption: Enable or disable closed captioning on your Gateway
- External Hard Drive: Allows you to safely disconnect your external hard drive to ensure that all data is stored properly. Stop all recordings and recorded playback and then choose the Disconnect option
- Sound Effects: Changes the volume of the sound that plays when you interact with the Shaw Gateway using your remote control. Settings include high, medium, low or mute
- Channel Guide: Enable the Channel Guide to see your TV programming information in a traditional time grid format. Once enabled, you can launch the Channel Guide view from the TV channels list, or by pressing the C key on your Shaw Remote
- Channel List: Allows you to hide channels in the menu channel list by selecting them from a list
- Tips: Select this option to see tips on the various controls, shortcuts and settings available to you with the Shaw Gateway
Back to top
Secondary Audio Streams
|Secondary audio streams can be adjusted by pressing the INFO button on your Shaw Gateway remote while viewing a channel. Within the Info menu there will be a section labelled Language. Toggling between the available options will change the audio stream. |
Not all channels have additional audio streams but those that do may include audio in a different language, descriptive video services, or sometimes streams with no audio at all.
Back to top