Learn how to update your Mac operating system (OS) by reading and following the instructions below. Ensure you are on a trusted network (e.g., home, work, etc.) and remember to always back up your data before you update any Mac software in case you encounter any issues during the update process. You can manually back up your data using a Mac-compatible external hard drive or Apple's pre-installed Time Machine program, found under Applications.
Did You Know?
To find out which Mac OS version you are currently running on your computer, click the Apple icon in the top left corner of your screen and select About This Mac.
For additional mac OS support see the Official macOS Support website.
Downloading and installing a Mac OS
Follow the below steps to download and install the new OS. To learn more about the most recent OS update, visit Apple Store Mac OS.
- Open the App Store, found under Applications.
- Click the Updates tab in the menu bar found at the top of the screen (see image below).
- If a software update is available, you will see Software Update and the corresponding details. Click the Update button on the right-hand side of the screen (see image below). It is recommended that you connect your computer to a charger before performing any updates to ensure that the power does not fail mid-way through an update.
- Enter your Apple ID and password, if necessary.
- Wait for the update to download. Once the download is complete if you are ready to install, click Continue when you are prompted. Be aware that installation can take some time.
- Once the update has been downloaded and installed, your Mac will restart, and you will now have the latest Mac OS version installed on your computer.
If you are aware of a new software update but don't see one in the App Store, try the following:
- Confirm the Mac OS version you are currently running on your computer.
- Confirm that your computer model is compatible with the new update.
- Install any updates that are outstanding. Then, return to the Updates tab and look for the software update again.
- Use the search function to search for the software update.
Note: You can view and update your App Store settings by clicking App Store at the top left corner of your screen and then selecting Preferences.
Related: Email setup in Apple macOS Mail, What's new with macOS?