Learn how to connect to WiFi on your Google Nexus 5 Android phone and set up your Shaw email account through an Exchange server. We recommend that you use Exchange (ActiveSync) as it is the preferred email setup method. For more information on your Google Nexus 5, see Nexus 5 Product Support.
Click on the links below to be redirected to the relevant instructions.
Did You Know?
Microsoft Exchange (ActiveSync) is the most convenient way to setup your email and is recommended as it is the best option for users looking to check mail worldwide and from different computers/devices.
Learn More: What email setup is right for me?
Microsoft Exchange email setup
For Shaw email setup on your Google Nexus 5 Android phone using Exchange server settings, follow the instructions below. We recommend using Exchange (ActiveSync) to set up your Shaw.ca email address as it allows advanced mail handling, is less confusing for accounts connected to multiple devices, and lets you synchronize your calendars and contacts.
- Ensure that your Shaw.ca email account password meets the minimum security requirements
- Open the APPS drawer on your Google Nexus 5
- Select the Email application
- If this is the first time you are setting up an email account, tap Manual Setup. Otherwise, tap the Menu button on your Nexus 5 phone, choose New Account and then select Manual Setup
- Select the account type Exchange
- Enter your Shaw email address and password
- Enter the following:
- Server Address: wm.shaw.ca
- Domain: shaw.ca
- Use SSL: Yes (add a check mark)
- Accept all SSL Certificates: Yes (add a check mark)
- Choose Next
- Choose which services you would like to sync (Mail, Contacts and Calendar)
- Select Next
- Tap Activate
- Enter an account name and select Done to finish setup
Related: Alternative POP and IMAP Settings
Back to top
Follow these steps to connect your Google Nexus 5 phone to your wireless (WiFi) network:
- Swipe down on the notification bar at the top of the phone's screen
- Tap the Square icon in the top right hand corner, which takes you to Quick Settings
- Select the Cog icon
- Move the WiFi slider option to the On position
- Tap WiFi
- Select the network that you would like to connect to
- Enter the network password (unless the network is open and requires no password)
- Press Connect
If you are connecting to your home Shaw WiFi network and have a Shaw WiFi modem, you can find the network name (SSID) and password located on the white sticker on the back or bottom of your wireless modem.
Related: How to connect to a Shaw Go WiFi Hotspot
Did You Know?
If you have customized your network name (SSID) and/or password and can no longer remember the login credentials, you will need to restore it to factory settings.
Learn More: Restore your wireless modem to the default setting
Back to top