In this article you will find information on how to connect your Xbox One gaming console to your television, and to the Internet through either a wireless or a wired connection.
On This Page
The below diagram will help you in connecting and installing your Xbox One console. For this installation you will require an HDMI cable, the Xbox One power cable, the console, and an available HDMI port on your television. If you would like to use the Xbox One's HDMI pass through functionality, you will also need an additional HDMI cable to connect your digital box to the console.
|Installation Steps||Diagram Key|
HD Television Pass Through
To use the pass through feature of the Xbox One, connect your HD Digital Box to the console using an HDMI cable (setup instructions seen above).
The Xbox One Guide feature has not been made available in Canada for launch of the system. For more information on the Xbox OneGuide feature and its availability, please check Xbox One's official support website at: Watch TV on Xbox One - Xbox.com
To connect your Xbox One system to the Internet through your wireless network, you will first need to make sure you know your network ID (SSID) and network password. If you are using a Shaw wireless router, you can find these details listed on the top of the device listed as SSID and Passphrase/Password.
- Press the Menu button on the Xbox One controller
- Select Settings
- Select Network
- On the Network Settings screen, select Set Up Wireless Network
- Select the name of your wireless network from the list of available networks
- Enter your network password when prompted
- Select Test Network Connection on the Network Settings screen to confirm your consoles connection
- For more support on connecting your Xbox One to wireless Internet, please check Microsoft's support page
- Trouble seeing your wireless network? Click here
To connect your Xbox One system to the Internet through a direct connection you will first need to connect it to your Shaw Wireless Modem or router with an Ethernet cable. Plug one end of the Ethernet cable into your wireless modem or routers ports (listed as LAN or Ethernet), and the other end into the available Ethernet port on the back of the console (see below for example).
If you are connecting your Xbox One directly to a Shaw modem that does not support Wireless, you will need to perform the above steps, and then unplug your modem from power for 1 minute. Reconnect the power cable to your modem, and once it reboots fully, proceed with the following steps:
- Press the Menu button on your Xbox One controller
- Select Settings
- Select Network
- Choose Test Network Connection on the Network Settings screen to confirm your consoles connection
If you are experiencing issues setting up the HDMI pass through feature on your Xbox One, please see the following:
HDMI passthrough not working:
This issue may be caused when you are using three or more devices in a chain, using HDMI cables.
The solution to this issue is to reduce the number of HDMI connections there are in the chain by using alternative methods of connecting this hardware together, such as an optical cable to connect your audio receiver, and an HDMI cable straight to the television from the Xbox One.
On a Gateway system, fast forward and rewind bar won't show:
To resolve this issue, please follow the steps below.
- From Home, say "Xbox, go to Settings" or select the Settings tile from My games & apps
- Select TV & OneGuide
- Select Troubleshooting
- Select the Surround Sound (BETA) option