Webmail - Internet Explorer 11 Issues

Document created by [shaw]fraser on Dec 16, 2013Last modified by [shaw]alex on Oct 11, 2016
Version 27Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Understanding the Issue

Customers accessing Webmail through the Internet Explorer 11 browser will experience issues when trying to navigate and browse the service. This is because many webpages and services including Shaw Webmail do not yet support this version of the browser. Click here for an example image.

Quick Fix

If you are a Shaw customer using Webmail on your Internet Explorer 11 browser, we recommend that you use an alternative browser to access this service. Firefox, Chrome and Safari will all allow you to browse Webmail successfully. You can find information on where to download these browsers below.

Download the Firefox browser

Download the Chrome browser

Download the Safari browser

Resolving the Issue

Solution 1: Compatibility View Settings

Solution 2: HTML Basic View

How Can I Tell What Version of Internet Explorer I am Using?

Solution 1: Enable Compatibility View Settings

To enable compatibility view settings on your Internet Explorer 11 browser:

1. Click on settings (cog icon) in the top right hand corner of the browser
  2. Choose Compatibility View Settings
  3. A new window will appear where you will be able to enter Shaw.ca in the "Add this website" field
  4. Click add

Select Compatibility View SettingsAdd Shaw.ca
Internet Explorer 11 Compatibility ViewInternet Explorer 11 Compatibility View add shaw

Please be aware! Enabling Compatibility View Settings on your Internet Explorer 11 Browser may prevent you from being able to access Shaw's My Account webpage.

Solution 2 - Switch to Basic HTML View (Limited Version)

Customers who are unable to install a new browser on their PC, and do not want to enable Compatibility View Settings also have the option of switching their Webmail page to present in Basic HTML. This simply means that the webpage will display as a stripped down version with some of the features of Webmail no longer available. To switch to Basic HTML View:

1. Login to Webmail
  2. Go to Webmail Preferences in the top right hand corner of the web page
  3. Switch to Basic HTML by selecting Basic (HTML) under the "Login Using" section
  4. Save your changes, then sign out of Webmail, and sign back in

Select PreferencesSelect Basic (HTML) then Save

How Can I tell What Version of Internet Explorer I am Using?

To find your current Internet Explorer version number, open the web browser and click on the gear icon in the top right hand corner of the screen. From here, select About Internet Explorer and your current version number will be displayed.

Internet Explorer Version
Internet Explorer 11 version

Related Articles

Webmail: Calendars

Still Need A Little Help?

See what other customers are asking, or sign-in to ask

your own question, in the Internet forum.