SamKnows is a program that helps measure your Internet performance and diagnose home network issues by installing a "Whitebox" measuring device. From upload and download speeds, to latency and video streaming, SamKnows will give you control of your Internet experience by providing the knowledge you need to make informed decisions.

About SamKnows

Shaw is committed to providing an exceptional Internet experience through a consistent and reliable broadband speed. With the help of our partner, SamKnows, we’re testing the performance of the Shaw network. SamKnows offers unbiased broadband measurement services around the world. 

Participants in this project can:

• monitor network health
  • configure a WiFi network to find its perfect setup
  • reduce connection issues with devices
  • help improve the Internet for all users

How do I join the test group?

All you need to do is fill out a simple form to express your interest. If you are selected, you will be contacted to confirm your participation and sent a measuring device to install with your current Shaw Internet modem. Once you have installed the measuring device, it will automatically send the results to SamKnows for reporting. The program will run for several months and an email will be sent to you when the testing is complete.

What exactly am I sharing?

Your privacy is important to us. The device will only measure the connection and speed of your Internet service. It will not monitor or track your usage or activity.

Frequently asked questions

Check out the following FAQs to learn more about SamKnows.

Can I cancel my participation at any time?

Yes. Simply contact SamKnows at community@samknows.com to make arrangements to return the Whitebox.

How does the Whitebox work to test speeds — do I need to do anything?

Just plug in the Whitebox. The device will automatically test download speeds, upload speeds, and other quality performance indicators.

How do I install the Whitebox?

Installation is easy, and very similar to installing a router. Complete instructions will arrive with the device.

Can you see what I'm browsing?

SamKnows does not collect any personal browsing data that passes through the device. The device only checks your bandwidth usage to decide whether to postpone tests (eg. if you're downloading a large file, test will be delayed so your activity isn't disrupted). When your network is idle the device simulates the act of browsing to common websites to produce a metric for browsing speed.

How secure is the Whitebox? Does it allow you access to my network?

By default, the device does not allow remote access. For troubleshooting purposes, SamKnows might ask you for permission to access the device via a secure SSH tunnel. This will not give them access to your home computers.

Is there any cost to me for participating in this test?

There is no cost to you for volunteering. The device will be shipped to you free of charge and will be yours for the duration of the test.

What will be done with the speed information gathered through this device?

SamKnows will gather data from a statistically significant sampling of Shaw Internet customers. This data will be used by Shaw to ensure we are delivering an exceptional Internet experience.

Can I see the results for my connection?

Shaw is committed to compiling customer information in order to assess our network performance and ultimately make our customers' experiences even better. There are no plans to make data from individual white boxes available.

If you need assistance or have any questions, contact the SamKnows support team at community@samknows.com.

Labels (1)
TALK TO US
We're here to help