Shaw Secure 13.6 is a new updated version of Shaw Secure available to Windows users (excluding Windows Phone, RT, and XP and earlier) which has been designed to accommodate touch screen environments.
Along with the new touch capable interface, version 13.6 provides a variety of updates and new features, and provides significant improvements in performance, detection effectiveness, and privacy protection.
Starting with the release of the new version of Shaw Secure on March 02, 2015, users who are on a Windows machine will begin to receive the update automatically. Upon installing the update, a pop-up confirming completion and requesting PC restart will appear. Simply allow your PC to restart so that update can finish installation, and Shaw Secure 13.6 will be ready for use. Shaw Secure 13.6 is currently only available to Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 users (excluding RT and Windows Phone)
If this prompt has not appeared, you can automatically search for the update through your Shaw Secure settings. To do this:
- Open Shaw Secure powered by McAfee on your PC
- Click on the Updates section on the main screen
- Select Check for updates
- The updater will now run and begin installation of Shaw Secure 13.6
If you would like to install Shaw Secure, you can find fully detailed steps at the following link:
Shaw Secure 13.6 includes all of the great features introduced in 12.8, such as SiteAdvisor Social and the Vulnerability Scanner, as well as enhancements to pre-existing features such as the Anti-Spam tool.
|New And Enhanced Features|
The new Shaw Secure 13.6 interface supports touch friendly devices, and has been redesigned to ensure fast and easy navigation to all of the features offered.
SiteAdvisor can scan popular social networking sites including Facebook, LinkedIn and Google+, and provide you with real-time analysis of suspicious materials by adding colour-coded risk ratings next to links.
The vulnerability scanner finds and installs the latest software updates for Windows and your programs - so your PC stays safe and up to date.
The anti-spam engine now leverages McAfee Labs characteristics (from 6-12 additional determination factors) to determine whether an email is spam/phishing or not.
NetGuard Anti-Bot Protection
NetGuard leverages McAfee Global Threat Intelligence to learn if a desired IP destination is dangerous, and blocks connections that are risky and may be related to botnet activity. Simply clicking "More" offers users more information on why the block occurred.
Firewall Leak Protection
The Shaw Secure powered by McAfee firewall has been updated with improved guards against leaks and leak detection apps.
Safe URL Sharing
Safely and easily share interesting and entertaining content on social networks, providing web links that friends can click with confidence. If a link becomes risky before a user clicks, friends will be warned and protected.
Integrated URL shortening service lets users embed brief, trustworthy URLs
Redesigned with improved user experience. QuickClean can now run in the background, report on space reclaimed, clean more items than before, and clean all browser history files.
IMPROVED Real-Time Scanner
Speeds up scan time and uses fewer CPU resources. Enables users to customise settings to exclude large files.
IMPROVED Removal of 3rd Party Software
Removes Incompatible Software that could interfere with Shaw Secure.
NEW Stinger Tool
Cleans infected devices before installing Shaw Secure.
Virus and Spyware Protection
From this option you can run quick and full scans on your device to locate and remove viruses and spyware that may be a threat to your PC. You can also set up scheduled scans which will automatically begin at set intervals.
Data Protection and Backup
Includes access to the Shredder tool, which helps protect your privacy by letting you permanently eliminate files that contain sensitive information
PC and Home Network Tools
Contains the QuickClean tool, which helps improve your PC's performance by letting you erase unnecessary files, such as old ActiveX programs. Also includes the My Home Network tool and the Vulnerability Scanner.
Allows you to setup parental controls so that you can restrict the types of content that is accessible by select users on your PC.
Setting scheduled scans is one of the best ways you can ensure the protection of your PC from malicious activity, including viruses and spyware. To setup scheduled scans on your computer:
- Open Shaw Secure 13.6 on your computer
- Select Virus and Spyware Protection
- Choose Scheduled Scans
- Select Schedule Your Scan
- Input your schedule preferences:
- Select a Schedule, or
- Create my own scan schedule
- Once you have chosen your scheduled scan preferences, select Apply
- You can also choose to exclude certain files and folders from the scan by selecting the Exclude Files and Folders option from within the Scheduled Scans menu
To setup parental controls on Shaw Secure 13.6:
- Open Shaw Secure 13.6 on your computer
- Select Parental Controls from the right hand side of the start screen
- You will need to create an administrator password before you are able to choose your parental controls. Select Set next to Administrator Password
- Create your password and a password hint to help you remember if you loose or forget it
- Windows 8 users that are setup on your machine will now be listed vertically. Select the user that you would like to restrict by choosing Protect
- Select your preferred restrictions by choosing:
- Select the child's age range from the available drop down list to generate a list of allowed and blocked content
- Confirm the features that are allowed and blocked. You can change the status of either one by clicking on it and then pressing the corresponding arrow icon
- Optional Settings include the ability to block websites that contain potentially inappropriate images or language from appearing in search results (enabled by default), and the ability to block specific website URLs or IP addresses
- Select Done
Still Need A Little Help?
See what other customers are asking, or sign-in to ask
your own question, in the Internet forum.