IP Passthrough allows you to assign a public IP address to a device connected to your Hitron modem. Whether you're looking to use a third party router or troubleshoot possible connectivity issues, IP Passthrough bypasses your Hitron's internal routing.
Please Note: Once you have enabled IP Passthrough, the device that receives the public IP address will no longer be able to access the Hitron's user interface (described below). Likewise, as your Hitron will continue to operate its DHCP service, if you intend to use IP Passthrough for a third party router, it is recommended that you move all of your local connections (both wired and wireless) to the third party device.
To use IP Passthrough, you'll need to ensure that you have a second dynamic IP address available for your modem. Please contact customer support to confirm or arrange for your free IP address: Shaw.ca/ContactUS. Once you have confirmed the availability of a second IP address, please follow the steps outlined below.
On This Page
If you follow the steps below and log into the Hitron user interface but cannot find the IP Passthough settings (under the Admin tab), you will need to reset the Hitron for firmware 126.96.36.199. To perform a factory reset press the reset pin-hole button on the back of the Hitron for 10 seconds and allow a couple of minutes for the modem to reboot. After resetting the modem, please follow the below steps for enabling IP Passthrough.
IP Passthrough can be set to the MAC address of a specific device on your network or by assigning the passthrough to a specific ethernet port on the back of your Hitron (possible ports: 1-4). Both options are described below and are setup via the web user interface for your Hitron modem.
1. Log into Hitron web user interface by addressing your web browser to 192.168.0.1 and then entering the login credentials (default credentials shown):
Password: Serial number on the Hitron
2. Once logged in, go to Admin in menu bar (seen below)
3. Click IP Passthrough on the right of the sub menu bar
4. Enable IP Passthrough via on/off toggle button
5. Select either the MAC or Port IP Passthrough Mode and follow the specific steps below:
- MAC Address Mode: Specify the mac address of the device on your local network that should receive the public IP (can be connected to any of the 4 ethernet ports or via WiFi).
- Click MAC option
- Enter MAC address for device that requires public IP
- Click + to add the entered MAC address
- Click Save Changes, your new settings will be updated after a short wait
- Port Mode: Define the specific port (1-4) which hosts the device that will receive the public IP (note: The Hitron ports are not numbered but with the modem in the standing position, the port numbers are sequential with port #1 just below the reset hole and port #4 closest to the coaxial cable connection).
- Click Port option
- Select IP Passthrough Port (#1-4)
- Click Save Changes, your new settings will update after a short wait
Still Need A Little Help?
See what other customers are asking, or sign-in to ask
your own question, in the Internet forum.