Learn more about the Ignite TV (formerly known as BlueCurve TV) app with our frequently asked questions. From device availability to streaming content and download-to-go availability, find answers to commonly asked questions about the Ignite TV app. 

About the Ignite TV app

What is the Ignite TV app?

The Ignite TV app allows you to stream or download content over any WiFi connection, whether in-home or on-the-go. You can also stream and download content over a cellular connection (carrier data charges may apply). The Ignite TV app can be accessed using your in-home internet connection, or on-the-go using your data connection or Rogers WiFi Hotspots.

What are some of the features of the Ignite TV app? What content will I have access to through the Ignite TV app?

• Up to 240 live channels available to stream live TV wherever you have an internet connection.
  • 500+ in-home channels (depending on region and TV plan) when connected to your home WiFi network. For more details on in-home channels, visit About in-home channels on the Ignite TV app.
  • Over 40,000 on-demand titles: A library of on-demand content is accessible through the Ignite TV app.
  • Download-to-go titles: You can download directly to your mobile device or tablet. Download-to-go is not available on the desktop/laptop version of the Ignite TV app.
    • Download-to-go titles are currently available from Hollywood Suite only (a Hollywood Suite subscription is required).
  • Live sports on-the-go: The Ignite TV app offers Sportsnet, TSN and premium sports channels like NFL, NHL and MLB content in one app.
  • All-in-one content aggregation: An interface that combines customer TV subscriptions (including Crave) into one convenient location, meaning you can find and watch the TV shows and movies you want without needing to remember which network, channel number or platform is carrying them.

Note: The content that you can access with the Ignite TV app is dependent on the TV package you subscribe to and the mobile rights for your region. Download-to-go is only available on the Android and iOS app and is not available on desktop/laptop.

Who can download the Ignite TV (Shaw) app?

Ignite TV customers are able to download the Ignite TV app on supported iOS and Android devices. The Ignite TV app can also be accessed via your desktop or laptop computer by visiting ignitetv.shaw.ca with no download required.

• Shaw Business customers do not have access to the Ignite TV app at this time.
  • The Ignite TV app is free to download for Shaw Digital Cable or Satellite TV subscribers.

How do I get the Ignite TV (Shaw) app?

The app is available for direct download at both the Apple iTunes and Android Google Play stores. You can find more information about the Ignite TV app, including links to download, by visiting shaw.ca/ignitetvapp. The Ignite TV app is also available on your computer by visiting ignitetv.shaw.ca.

Device availability 

What devices will support the Ignite TV app?

The Ignite TV App is available on Apple iOS, Android, and Amazon Fire TV devices. The web version can be accessed by visiting ignitetv.shaw.ca from a web browser on your computer. Casting via Google Chromecast and Apple AirPlay is also supported.

For a detailed list of system requirements for Ignite TV, please visit About the Ignite TV app.

Which devices are not compatible with the Ignite TV app?

• Apple devices pre-iOS 14.0
  • Android devices pre-OS 7.0
  • Gaming consoles

Streaming content on the Ignite TV app

Can I watch the Ignite TV app on any internet connection?

Yes, the Ignite TV app can be accessed using your in-home internet connection, on-the-go using Rogers WiFi Hotspots or while connected to a cellular data network while in Canada (cellular data charges may apply).

Due to licensing restrictions, some content is only available when connected to your home WiFi network.

Can I watch the Ignite TV app on my TV through Google Chromecast?

Yes, both the Ignite TV app and web version can cast to a TV set using Google Chromecast. See How to: Cast content from the Ignite TV App to Chromecast for more information.

Can I watch the Ignite TV app on my TV through Apple AirPlay?

Yes, both the Ignite TV app and web version can cast to a TV set using Apple AirPlay. See How to: Use Apple AirPlay with the Ignite TV App for more information.

Can I use the Ignite TV app on my Amazon Fire TV device?

Yes, you the Ignite TV app is available on Fire TV devices running Fire OS 6 or later. Visit How To: Use the Ignite TV App on Amazon Fire TV to learn more.

Are paid On Demand and Pay-Per-View (PPV) events available on the Ignite TV app?

No, the Ignite TV app does not carry paid On Demand or PPV content.

Will the Ignite TV app integrate Crave content?

Yes. If you subscribe to Crave you will be able to access this content through the Ignite TV app. Navigation will be seamless, meaning you will be able to search for your TV subscription and Crave content in one place, without having to switch between platforms to find the movies and shows you’re looking for.

How many devices per account can access the Ignite TV app at the same time?

You are able to download the Ignite TV (Shaw) app on up to 40 devices per Shaw Cable or Shaw Direct account. When a 41st device is introduced, the 1st authorized device is automatically replaced by the newly added device.

5 devices can stream content at the same time when connected to the home WiFi network. 2 devices can stream content at the same time when outside of the home.

Note: Note: When a sixth stream is initiated, you'll get a message that says "maximum stream limit reached."

Can I watch the Ignite TV app outside of Canada?

You can watch downloaded content from anywhere, even outside of Canada; however, the content must be downloaded within Canada and expires after 30 days.

• Content from Hollywood Suite is available only until the end of the calendar month.
    • i.e. A movie downloaded on May 15th, 2023 would be able to be watched offline until end of day on May 31st, 2023.

The ability to stream live TV and on-demand content on the Ignite TV app is not available to customers outside of Canada due to content rights restrictions.

Can two devices watch the same live channel at the same time?

Yes, a maximum of 5 devices per registered account can stream content at the same time when connected to the home WiFi network. The maximum for outside the home is 2 devices watching at the same time.

Note: When a sixth stream is initiated, you'll get a message that says "maximum stream limit reached."

What kind of video quality will the app offer?

If supported by the device, video can be streamed at up to 720p HD.

What will the live TV channel lineup look like on the Ignite TV app?

The Ignite TV app includes access to up to 500+ in-home channels and 240 to-go channels (based on your region and TV plan) linked directly to your TV subscription, where mobile rights exist.

• In-home channels, stacked on top of to-go channels, appear black in color, have a channel number and can be streamed when customers are connected to their home WiFi network.
  • To-go channels, on the other hand, appear grey in color, are labelled as “To Go” and do not have channel numbers visible. They can be streamed anywhere in Canada with an internet connection. You can use a filter located at the top left side of the Live TV page within the app to view only to-go channels.

Will the Ignite TV app be able to play PVR recordings, schedule recordings or allow users to download recordings for offline viewing?

The app will allow you to play back completed recordings from both in-home and to-go channels. However, if the recording is in progress, you can only play it back if you're in-home. Otherwise, you'll have to wait for the recording to finish. You can also download recordings for offline viewing.

At this time PVR recordings can only be scheduled from the set top box and not from the app.

Can I stream On Demand or live TV on another monitor from the Ignite TV app?

Video output (HDMI, DLNA etc.) is blocked for iOS and Android with the exception of AirPlay and Chromecast.

Can I pause, rewind, or fast forward live TV or on-demand programs on the Ignite TV app?

Pause and rewind is available for all on-demand networks, fast-forward is available for most. You cannot pause, rewind or fast-forward live TV streams in the Ignite TV app.

Are seasonal packages such as NFL Sunday Ticket or NHL Centre Ice available for streaming on the Ignite TV app?

Yes, seasonal packages such as NFL Sunday Ticket or NHL Centre Ice are available for streaming on the Ignite TV app (based on your region and subscription). Please note that some content is only available for viewing when connected to your home WiFi network.

Is the Ignite TV app available in French?

Yes, if your phone's language settings are set to French then you can use the Ignite TV app in French.

Do blackout restrictions apply with the Ignite TV app?

• We strive to provide you with the best on-the-go viewing experience, and in order to do that, some programs may be unavailable or ‘blacked out’.
  • Programming available to you on the Ignite TV app is based on what you have access to on your set-top box at home. Viewing restrictions based on the approximate location of the WiFi or cellular network that your device is connected to, like those established by leagues like the NHL, will still apply.
  • If you're connected to your home WiFi network, you'll be able to view the program by tuning to the in-home version of the channel. However, program-specific blackouts will continue to occur on to-go channels when a program cannot be broadcasted outside of the home.
  • For example, when you travel outside of a sport league’s defined viewing boundary, the games you can view at home may be unavailable on your mobile device.

For more information on blackout restrictions, please see the following support article: Ignite TV App - Blackout Information

Will use of the Ignite TV app or ignitetv.shaw.ca on my home internet connection count against my allotted monthly data usage?

Like all other video streaming services, the Ignite TV app will count against your monthly allotted internet data usage; however, we offer additional data in many of our internet packages (for an additional fee) and we do not charge for data overages.

Will the speeds available at a Rogers WiFi Hotspot support video playback for the Ignite TV app?

Yes. In fact, we recently increased our Rogers WiFi Hotspot and internet speeds on select packages. More about Rogers WiFi Hotspots.

Download to go functionality

Ignite TV App - Download-to-go gives you access to select program content for offline viewing. Download-to-go is only available on the Android and iOS app and is not available on desktop/laptop. Download to-go content can be viewed directly on your mobile device and can’t be cast via Chromecast at this time.

What content is available to download from the Ignite TV app?
The number of titles available for download depend on what’s included in your current TV subscription.

• Hollywood Suite content was made available on May 5th, 2016. The available movies and number of titles will update month-to-month. Content from Hollywood Suite is only available until the end of the calendar month.
  • i.e. A movie downloaded on May 15th, 2023 would be able to be watched offline until end of day on May 31st, 2023.

What networks currently offer Download-to-go content?

• Hollywood Suite

How do I download content for offline playback?
If a title is available for download, the option will appear next to the “Watch" button. The file download will be allowed to start provided that your device has sufficient space available and that no other device associated with your account has downloaded/checked out the same title.

• You can also apply a filter while browsing on-demand titles to only display shows with titles that are available for download.

How many titles will I be able to download to my device and view without an internet connection?
You can download up to 10 on-demand titles per device and can authorize up to 5 devices to download per account.

• Titles can only be checked out (downloaded) by one device at a time, per account.
  • If you want to download additional content you will be required to check in titles (remove them from their device) prior to downloading.

What type of Internet connection do I need to download content?
The Ignite TV App allows you to stream or download content over any WiFi connection, whether in-home or on-the-go. You also have the ability to stream and download content over a cellular connection (carrier data charges may apply). Check your wireless provider's rate plan for details. Once content is downloaded, a connection is not needed to play.

How do I manage devices for the streaming and download features?
You can manage your Download-to-go devices through the app and streaming devices via Shaw or Shaw Direct My Account.

• To manage Download-to-go devices visit the ‘Settings’ menu in the app and open ‘Manage Download Devices’ to de-authorize.
  • To manage streaming devices, log into your Shaw or Shaw Direct My Account to de-authorize or remove a device. Go to the Ignite TV App page, choose the device you want to de-authorize and click "Remove Device".

Removing a device will return any downloadable content stored on that device.

How long can I access downloaded movies and shows on my device?
You can access your downloaded programs for a maximum of 30 days, however, if that content becomes unavailable due to rights restrictions before the title availability window expires, it may be returned in less than 30 days.

What happens when a download is interrupted? Can I watch a movie or show while it's downloading? Or one that was partially downloaded?

You cannot watch a program until the download is complete. If there is an interruption (e.g., loss of power or connectivity), the download will automatically pause. You can resume the download when you re-launch the app.

Will downloading content over a cellular network incur data charges?

Downloading content over a cellular network may incur data charges. Please check your wireless rate plan for details. Note: You can watch downloaded content offline anywhere in the world as long as it is downloaded while in Canada.

What do I do if I'm experiencing issues with the app?

If you're in need of support with the Ignite TV app, please contact us.

Labels (1)
TALK TO US
We're here to help