If you've updated to Yosemite and your previously working Shaw.ca account was automatically added to Apple Mail but is not functioning correctly, please follow these steps to update to the current required settings for OS X Yosemite.
1. With Apple Mail open, click Mail from the top left of the screen and then select Preferences
2. Click the Accounts tab from the top of the window that pops up
3. Select your Shaw.ca email address from the list presented on the left and then click the Advanced button from the upper right of the window.
4. Within the advanced settings screen, remove the checkmark from "Automatically Detect and Maintain Account Settings".
5. Close the window by clicking the red button in the top left and when prompted, save the new settings
You have now enabled the ability to update your previous settings to allow your email address to work with OS X Yosemite. Follow the remaining steps to ensure your account is using the correct settings to function with Yosemite.
6. From the top menu bar, click Mail and then select Preferences.
7. From within the Accounts tab, select your Shaw.ca email account from the left.
8. Confirm the following settings
Description: Optional name for your account
Email address: Your Shaw.ca email address
Full Name: Your Full Name
Incoming Mail Server: pop.shaw.ca
User name: Your Shaw email address without the @shaw.ca
Password: Your Shaw email password
9. Your Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) should be mail.shaw.ca (followed by ":your username"). If not, click on the drop down menu and then select Edit SMTP Server List.
10. In the window that appears, select the + (plus symbol) button to add a new outgoing server.
11. In the fields provided below, please enter:
Description: Optional, leave blank
Server Name: mail.shaw.ca
12. Click Advanced and confirm the following settings:
- Use Custom Port 587
- Use Secure Socket Layer (SSL): Yes (enter check mark)
- Authentication: Password
- User Name: Your Shaw email address without @shaw.ca
- Password: Your Shaw email password
13. Click Save
14. Click on the Advanced button in the upper right of the Account Settings window (highlighted below).
15. Confirm the following settings:
- Port: 995 (with check mark for SSL)
- Authentication: Password
14. Your account should now be setup and ready to use with OS X Yosemite. Close the Accounts window by clicking the red button in the top left. When prompted, save the new account settings.
15. Close Apple Mail and the re-launch the program to finalize the new settings.
Still Need A Little Help?
See what other customers are asking, or sign-in to ask
your own question, in the Internet forum.