We know that you're eager to start using your services — and there's no reason to wait! Our Self-Connect kits provide everything you need to set up your equipment and activate your services.  You can find easy-to-follow instructions for connecting your equipment at shaw.ca/selfconnect, but if you need answers to some common questions, this article has you covered. 

Choosing Self Connect

How do I know if Self-Connect is available for me?

Self Connect is available for almost all our services and current equipment, for new and existing customers. Some exceptions exist based on specific hardware or your home address, but this is fairly uncommon. If you're not sure, chat with us and we will check your address to see if it's good-to-go.

How long will it take to receive my Self-Connect kit?

Your kit can be delivered straight to your door or picked up at a retail location.  If you choose to have your kit delivered, it will generally arrive within 1-3 business days for most major market areas. Occasionally conditions outside our control may impact delivery times. 

Can I track the shipping status of my kit?

Once the Self-Connect kit has been shipped a tracking number will be emailed to you so that you can track the status of your shipment.

Can I Self-Connect if I'm moving?

If you are an existing customer who is moving to a new address, you can most likely Self Connect at your new home.  You will need to contact us to start your move and to check your new address to make sure that it is eligible for Self-Connect. You can learn everything you need to know about moving on our About: Moving your Shaw services to a new address support document.

Self-Connect process FAQs

What if I am missing an item from my Self-Connect kit?

If you are missing an item, connect with us by clicking the blue chat bubble (on this page), by visiting shaw.ca/chat or by using the My Shaw App.

How do I activate my equipment?

Most equipment will activate automatically within 20 minutes of plugging it in — it's that easy! Check the instructions specific to your equipment at shaw.ca/selfconnect.

Where can I find instructions specific to my equipment?

Easy-to-follow instructions for all Self-Connect equipment can be found at shaw.ca/selfconnect.

What if I follow the instructions and my equipment doesn't work?

If you've followed the self-connect instructions and your equipment is not activated, we recommend that you try using a different coax outlet in your home. If another coax outlet is not available, or if your equipment still doesn't work after following the instructions at a different outlet, we can talk you through the next steps. Connect with us by clicking the blue chat bubble (on this page), or visiting shaw.ca/chat.

I don't think I can do this on my own — now what?

No problem! If you or anyone helping with your connection needs extra support, connect with us by clicking the blue chat bubble (on this page), or visiting shaw.ca/chat and we can help walk you through the steps.

What is the fastest way to reach support?

You can get a priority place in queue when you reach out to us through the chat option in My Shaw or the Ignite HomeConnect App (formerly known as BlueCurve Home App).

• My Shaw Web: Once logged into your My Shaw account, click the blue chat bubble Blue Chat Bubble.jpg in the bottom-right corner of your screen to receive a priority place in queue for a live agent.
  • My Shaw App: Tap the chat button  from the menu bar on your screen to receive a priority place in queue for a live agent.
  • Ignite HomeConnect: Tap the ‘help’ button Info Icon.jpg in the top-right corner of your screen. This will open your device’s primary browser and load you into our chat queue.

Where is the best place to install my modem to ensure the best connection?

For better WiFi coverage, your modem should be placed in a central location, this works especially well if you have an open floor plan house. Alternatively, placing your modem central to where the Internet is most often used is a good choice as well. Please see About: Modem Placement and Range for more details.

What should I do with my old equipment?

You can find information about how to return your equipment at How To: Return Shaw equipment.

Did you know:
If you are setting up a new internet modem and you make your WiFi name and password identical to the WiFi name and password you had been using previously, most of the devices in your home should recognize the WiFi information and automatically reconnect.

Post Activation FAQs

Internet & WiFi FAQs

I have questions about WiFi. How does it work?

WiFi, or wireless Internet, is a method of connecting to the Internet using radio signals rather than cables, so it's essential if you're using a mobile device such as a smartphone, tablet, or notebook/laptop computer. WiFi isn't just for mobile devices, though. Many devices today use WiFi to connect to the Internet, from game consoles and smart TVs to smart thermostats and even major appliances like washing machines. This means that as long as it can get a signal, any WiFi-enabled device can connect to your Shaw Internet service completely free of networking cables.  Please see Getting started with in-home WiFi and Rogers WiFi Hotspots (formerly known as Shaw Go WiFi) for more details.

What does “bandwidth” mean and why does it matter?

Bandwidth is a measurement of the amount of data that can be passed through an Internet connection in a given time. It can be considered a measurement of either speed or usage.  Please see About: Internet bandwidth for more details.

How can I optimize my WiFi?

The choices you make over what is connected to a wired ethernet connection vs a WiFi connection, and what is connected to the 2.4 GHz vs the 5 GHz bands will go a long way to optimizing your WiFi experience. How To: Optimize your WiFi Experience explains the differences, as well as explains what device limitations your equipment may have, and explains WiFi Interference.

What is WiFi Interference, and how can that affect my experience?

An easy-to-relate experience of interference is listening to your radio in the car, one moment it can sound perfect, and the next moment it may have static. Nothing changed, except, what is between your radio and the signal broadcast.

Symptoms of interference can slow speeds, dead spots, constant reconnecting to the network, and websites struggling to load, among others.  In your home, interference is caused by many things. Please see About: WiFi interference for more details.

Speed is really important to me. What can I do to help if it seems slow?

Speed is a very important issue when it comes to your internet package.  We have an article dedicated to explaining everything you need to know, found at About: Internet Speeds. You can also learn everything you need to know about Shaw Speed tests in our Speed Test FAQ document.

There are multiple factors that could contribute to slower-than-expected speeds.  Please see Troubleshooting: Slow Internet speeds for some things you can do to improve speeds and confirm you are getting the best results possible.

What if I can’t get internet everywhere in my home, would an Ignite WiFi Pod (formerly known as Fibre+ WiFi Pod) help?

WiFi Pods are WiFi extenders that work with your Ignite WiFi Gateway (formerly known as Fibre+ Gateway) and Ignite HomeConnect App. They ensure wall-to-wall WiFi coverage in any home.  Please see Ignite WiFi Pods FAQ for more details.

Did you know: There’s a Restart button available in My Shaw for your internet service if you need it down the road (Note: This will cause a reboot of your internet modem which can take 2-10 minutes depending on your modem).

TV FAQs

What exactly can Ignite TV (formerly known as BlueCurve TV) do for me?

The Ignite TV experience includes exciting features like voice control, integrated apps, wireless TV hardware, cloud PVR, and more. Please see About: Ignite TV for more details.

How does my Ignite TV PVR work? What is a Cloud PVR and how is it different?

Cloud PVR is an enhancement to the Ignite TV PVR. It works just like a regular PVR, but includes new features like the ability to stream recordings to mobile devices and computers with the Ignite TV App or website. In addition, recordings can be "checked-out" and downloaded to your mobile device for offline viewing. Cloud PVR is available only with Ignite TV. Please see About: Cloud PVR for more details.

What is the big deal about the Ignite TV App?

Learn all about how you can stream from your App to your TV screen, download to go, manage and watch your PVR recordings, Parental controls and more by visiting About: Ignite TV App.

What do I do if my TV says No Input/Signal?

Ensure that both the TV and digital box are powered on, and that the TV is set to the correct input.  If you need help changing the input of your TV, we have more information on How do I change the input on my TV?  If you are on the correct input but still having trouble, we have further troubleshooting at Troubleshooting: TV Box will not power on.

Did you Know: When connecting our TV hardware, if you’ve completed the instructions, you’re on the correct TV input and there’s no picture, try refreshing your TV box by using the Refresh button in My Shaw.

Phone FAQs

I subscribed to Home Phone Features with my landline. How can I use them?

My Shaw provides access to various Home Phone features including voicemail through a convenient and easy-to-use website. Please visit My Shaw Home Phone features for more information.

I subscribed to Home Phone which will be provided through my Ignite WiFi Gateway. How do I connect my home?

Please visit Shaw Digital Phone Terminal wiring guide for specific information on how to connect your phone to the Ignite WiFi Gateway.

Plenty of other answers can be found for your Shaw Home Phone FAQs.

Other Self Serve resources

• Our online support site is always available at support.shaw.ca.
  • Share feedback, ask questions, and participate in conversations related to our services with other customers, and get answers from our own experts by exploring the Community.
  • The walkthrough steps for Self Connecting our hardware can be referred to any time at shaw.ca/selfconnect.
  • Find more about connecting up your hardware after moving with our Self-Connect moving guide.
  • We provide a lot of information through our YouTube channel, related to Billing, Support & How To videos, as well as general entertainment clips. Check out our ‘Playlists’ for specific content.

Labels (1)
TALK TO US
We're here to help