Shaw Go WiFi Troubleshooting and FAQs

Document created by shaw-jody on Oct 28, 2016Last modified by shaw-jody on Feb 16, 2017
Version 17Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Shaw Go WiFi FAQs

Shaw Go WiFi provides you with a Shaw Internet experience beyond the home allowing you to get online anytime you are in a Shaw hotspot. Once you register your mobile devices for Shaw Go WiFi, they will automatically connect every time you enter a Shaw Go WiFi hotspot. In the event that you are having issues connecting to Shaw Go WiFi, please use the Shaw Go WiFi Frequently Asked Questions below. 

Troubleshooting and FAQs

Learn how to troubleshoot common Shaw Go WiFi issues with these Frequently Asked Questions.

Does Shaw Go WiFi count towards my bandwidth usage?
No. Although devices that have been authenticated and signed in are subject to our Acceptable Use Policy – Internet. At this point in time, Shaw is not counting data consumption over Shaw Go WiFi as part of the monthly Internet package data allowance.

What is ShawPasspoint and how is it different from ShawOpen?
Passpoint is an improved method for connecting to WiFi hotspots as part of the Wi-Fi Alliance Hotspot 2.0 Specification. The new ShawPasspoint SSID allows for easier registration by installing a profile on your device. This allows you to register for Shaw Go WiFi from any location with an Internet connection, without having to be physically near a hotspot or having to look up the MAC address of your device.

• Supported Apple devices utilize an iOS Hotspot 2.0 Mobile Configuration Profile to enable automatic connections to Hotspot 2.0 hotspots.
  • ShawPasspoint is currently only available for devices that support the Hotspot 2.0 Specification.
    • We are currently working to support ShawPasspoint on Android Marshmallow devices.
  • ShawPasspoint is available at most of our Shaw Go WiFi locations. Where it isn’t available, ShawPasspoint registered devices will connect to ShawOpen.

I have a device that is registered to use ShawOpen. How can I start using ShawPasspoint?
Your devices that are currently registered to use ShawOpen and that support the Hotspot 2.0 standard can be easily upgraded to connect to the ShawPasspoint network using the Easy Device Registration page. Your device will receive the ShawPasspoint profile that will enable automatic connection to ShawPasspoint and ShawOpen, without you ever even needing to open your device settings.

• When your device connects to ShawPasspoint for the first time, the new ShawPasspoint registration and the old MAC registration will be merged into one registration. Prior to this first connection, you will notice two device registrations in your list of registered devices in My Account.

How does the ShawPasspoint profile get added to the device?
After logging in, a note will come up which states “Your device has the capability to receive and install a configuration (generated by Shaw) that will enable the ongoing automatic connection of your device to the Shaw Go WiFi Network.” After selecting Connect Now or Replace and Connect, the device will ask you to accept installation of the profile.

What kind of profile is the ShawPasspoint Profile?
The profile is an iOS Configuration Profile that adheres to the Wi-Fi Alliance Hotspot 2.0 Specification.

I don’t feel comfortable installing a profile on my device. Can I still register my device? Why is a profile necessary?

• The ShawPasspoint profile only serves to connect your device to Shaw Go WiFi without the need for you to configure your network settings while at a Shaw Go WiFi hotspot. However, you can still register your device without installing the profile, if you choose.
  • Please see Managing your Shaw Go WiFi Devices for steps on how to manually add a device

I don’t like having the ShawPasspoint profile installed on my device. Can I remove the profile and still use Shaw Go WiFi?

• Absolutely. Follow the steps below the delete the profile from your device:
    Settings > General > Profile > ShawPasspoint > Delete Profile
  • Next time you're in range of a Shaw Go WiFi hotspot, choose the ShawOpen network in order to connect without having to install the ShawPasspoint profile

Where can I manage the ShawPasspoint Profile on my iOS device?

• The profile is located on the device in Settings > General > Profiles
  • If the profile is removed from the device, the device will no longer automatically connect to ShawPasspoint or ShawOpen
  • ShawPasspoint devices can also be removed from your account through My Account

When can use my Android device on ShawPasspoint?
While Android has supported Hotspot 2.0 for many years, without online registration, Hotspot 2.0 setup on an Android is not yet as straightforward as it is for iOS devices. This is expected to change with Android 6.0 (Marshmallow). We are currently working to support ShawPasspoint on Android Marshmallow devices.

Why does my device still connect to ShawOpen sometimes, even though it’s registered for ShawPasspoint and I have the ShawPasspoint profile on my device?

• Your device will connect to ShawOpen when you’re in a location that doesn’t yet support ShawPasspoint.
  • Due to iOS specific behaviors as well as uncontrollable aspects of WiFi technology, iOS devices may sometimes connect to ShawOpen even when ShawPasspoint is available.

When I manually select the ShawPasspoint SSID, I’m asked for a username and password, but none of my Shaw credentials work here. What am I supposed to enter here?
If you need to manually connect your device to ShawPasspoint and you’re asked for credentials, it means your device isn’t yet registered to use ShawPasspoint. You’ll need to register your device at http://shaw.ca/wifi/get-connected/

After I connect to Shaw Go WiFi, the login page does not load
Once you have connected to a Shaw Go WiFi hotspot you will need to open a browser. If you've already registered your device, you will automatically be connected. If not, you will need to log in.

If the login page is not loading, it may be because your browser's homepage or the site you are navigating to is a secured site (https - like Google or Facebook). If this occurs, you may see the following security warning. Simply click continue to proceed to log in:

iOS and Android

I would like to report a faulty hotspot
If you appear to be connected but cannot access the Internet, move to another Shaw Go WiFi hotspot and report the location of the faulty hotspot by submitting feedback through the Shaw Go WiFi Finder App, or by calling Technical Support team at 1-855-877-WIFI (9434).

How can I manage my Shaw Email account
If you can connect to the access point but don't have an @shaw.ca email address or have forgotten the password, visit My Account to manage your email address and password.

How to Create a New Shaw Email Address
Shaw Account Settings (My Account)

I am unable to auto-authenticate to a WiFi hotspot
You may be unable to authenticate to the network if you have exceeded the number of devices you can connect to Shaw Go WiFi on your account. The number of devices you are able to connect depends on your current Internet plan. For more information on device limits, please visit: https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-9357#right 

The sign in page continues to display after I have signed in
On certain Android devices, the sign in page will continue to display, even after you have successfully signed in. If this occurs, you can go into your WiFi settings menu and forget the ShawOpen network. When you reconnect to ShawOpen you should no longer be prompted with the sign in page and will able to access the web.

I can't sign into the Shaw Go WiFi Network
If your device has cookies disabled, you may not be able to sign into the Shaw Go WiFi network. You can re-enable cookies through your mobile devices settings menu, or through your computer's Internet browser settings.

Which of my devices are compatible with Easy Device Registration?
Easy Device Registration is compatible with any device that has a browser and WiFi capabilities, including laptops, tablets, and smartphones.

I would like to request a new Shaw Go WiFi hotspot. How can I do this?
To request a new Shaw Go WiFi hotspot, email your suggestion to wifisuggestions@sjrb.ca. Please include the following details about the location you would like to suggest:

Street Address:
    City, Province:
    Phone:
    Email:

Related Articles

Attachments

Outcomes