Why are emails randomly disappearing from Trash Folder?

crazycat
Grasshopper

Over the past couple of days, I have noticed that emails are randomly disappearing from my Trash Folder.  On Tuesday 15 had disappeared, Wednesday another 21 and Today 18 had disappeared.  It's not like the oldest ones are disappearing, it seems to be random dates.  No one else has access to my email, so it's not like someone else is going in and deleting them.   I looked in Preferences and can't see that there is a setting that says they auto delete after so many days.  Emails in the Junk Folder do automatically delete after so approximately 10-14 days.  Does the Trash Folder have a setting to auto delete?  Occassionally, I delete an email, and then want it back or need to refer to it again.  Since they are automatically randomly disappearing, that makes it impossible to do now.  Why would they be automatically disappearing?

Update - Last Monday I had 250 emails sitting in my Trash Folder, tonight there is only 138.  During the past week, I have purposely not deleted any emails from my Inbox in order to see how many are disappearing.  What happened to them?  

Labels (1)
15 Replies

Re: Why are emails randomly disappearing from Trash Folder?

shaw-tony

Hey crazycat,

Thank you for reaching out! I haven't heard of any reports of this issue. Emails in the  trash will begin to auto-delete after 7 days. Emails that are deleted within the 7 days are recoverable with the steps here. Let me know how that goes for you.

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos

crazycat
Grasshopper

Hi Tony,

I have emails in my Trash folder that are older than 7 days.  It never use to auto-delete them.  When did that change?  If it's auto-deleting after 7 days, why aren't all emails that are 7 days old or older not being deleted? 

Crazycat

0 Kudos

shaw-tony

crazycat Hmm, it should be happening to your emails through the web version of Webmail. Are you using an email client such as Outlook, Mac Mail, etc or is this through the web browser version? If it is through an email client, all the settings for that would be in the client itself. Keep me posted.

0 Kudos

crazycat
Grasshopper

It's happening with Webmail.

0 Kudos

shaw-tony

crazycat that is indeed odd. Do you access your Shaw email through any other devices or do you only access it through the web browser? Just trying to rule out any manual email deletion. Otherwise, I will recommend setting up a new folder for emails that you refer to again as a back up so this doesn't happen again. 

Also, when you use the steps here are you able to recover the emails that were missing?

0 Kudos

crazycat
Grasshopper

I also access my emails using my IPad and Windows 10 Mail.  I did try to recover emails using the steps you provided and it did work.  But my original question was, why now are emails being randomly deleted from the trash folder?  I haven't changed any settings and this never use to happen.  If I wanted to see if I had gotten an email from an specific person that I may have accidently deleted, I could always go to my trash folder and sort it by who they were From and find it, didn't matter how old it was.  The recovery steps says that it only works for emails deleted in the past 7 days, so that wouldn't help if I was looking for something in the past 6 months.  As I said, I haven't changed any settings, but has something recently changed with Shaw?

0 Kudos

shaw-tony

I haven't heard of any news on updates for the Shaw Webmail. It may be a setting on your devices that was automatically changed from an update. I'd recommend checking those settings to ensure your trash folder is keeping emails and not automatically removing them.

0 Kudos

crazycat
Grasshopper

I have my email set-up on the IPad using the Exchange server and I can see Deleted emails going back almost 2 years.  So there's no problem with that.  Windows 10 Mail was set up using IMAP, so the problem may originate with how Windows 10 handles that.     

crazycat
Grasshopper

UPDATE - I first thought Windows 10 Mail was to blame for this problem, but I deleted my Windows 10 Mail account and have been only accessing my email through Webmail or on my IPAD (set up with the Exchange server),  for the past 2 months.  Every 15 days, all items in my Trash Folder automatically gets deleted.  So somewhere in Shaw's Webmail there has to be a setting to auto-delete emails from the Trash Folder but I can't find it.  Where is the setting and can it be turned off?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help