Port Forwarding on the Hitron 2250

Not applicable

I want to connect a camera, with remote access, to my daughter's Hitron CGNM-2250 modem/router. For this I need port forwarding access to the Hitron, but have read conflicting forum entries whether or not Shaw supports this. I live in Ontario and my daughter lives in BC. The next time I go to visit her I want to complete this but have not worked with the Hitron 2250 before.
In Ontario I have a Shaw modem feeding my router and have a number of cameras and other devices connected to it. I prefer to port forward on the Hitron rather than ip pass-through to a third party router (with all her devices connected to this router) in case of a router failure.  That way, at least, it would stay in Shaw's area of responsibility providing her with the help she would need.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: Port Forwarding on the Hitron 2250

shaw-tony

Hey wfauconnier,

Thanks for reaching out! Port forwarding is an available feature on the Hitron modem, but it is outside of our support scope. Generally, from what I read on setting up security cameras, a static IP is required to establish a stable connection. There have been cases where the setup fails with a dynamic IP. Similar to the discussion here you can have an IP passthrough set up on the Hitron modem to a 3rd party router to set this up (two separate networks). To have a secondary IP enabled, you will need to contact customer support to assist with that. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos

Not applicable

Thanks Tony. Are you saying that I (the customer) has access to and may use the port forwarding feature of the Shaw supplied Hitron 2250?  I would not expect Shaw to set this up, I am capable of doing so. Yes, a static IP specified in port-forwarding is definitely the way to set up the cameras.  

0 Kudos

shaw-tony

wfauconnier absolutely, yes you can certainly access and use the port forwarding feature on the Hitron modem. As for a static-IP, these are only available through Shaw business accounts. You can check out their services here if you are interested.

TALK TO US
We're here to help