Re: The recent Gateway Portable update is terrible

amnon
Grasshopper

This update is absolutely ATROCIOUS!

1. The monochromatic program grid is stark and you can no longer differentiate between types of programs. Everything is the same. The loss of functionality by not being able to tell what type of show you're looking at is extremely frustrating. Talk about a step backwards in functionality and ease of use.

2. The closed captions are also much less appealing. Even trying adjusting for size and font makes it more obtrusive. As well, depending on the program, the closed captions are upwards of a third up the screen, again very obtrusive. You can change many of the CC features, like size, font, colour, etc, but you cannot change the position f the CCs.

3. The time bar, the one along the bottom of the screen that indicates a show's progress when paused, fast forwarded, etc, is too subdued. It used to be clearly indicated by a yellow bar and now it's light blue and grey. Depending on the show it sort'a blends into the background.

Did anyone even run these changes past a focus group? This design reminds me of the blocky style of Windows 3.11 in the mid-80s.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT!!!!! BRING BACK THE PREVIOUS STYLE.

Not applicable
To access Shaw Gateway Diagnostics and Status:
•       Press Menu
•       Scroll right to settings to the “gears” symbol
•       Scroll down and ... 
•       Hover over Channel List
•       Press … Back, Next, Back, Next
•       You’re in …
•       Look around, especially in Diagnostics

0 Kudos

amnon
Grasshopper

So I ran the diagnostics. What am I looking for? Unless I'm missing it, there's nothing here that will let me revert my interface to the old version.

0 Kudos

shaw-tony

Hey amnon

I am sorry to inform you that there is no way to revert back to the old guide view. You can find more information about the changes here.

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos

bigbob33
Grasshopper

This was a really poorly thought out upgrade, why would they get rid of the colors in the guide, now all black.  It was so easy to see what movies were on different stations.  Please fix ASAP, just needed to vent.

Bob

0 Kudos

cschmitz
Grasshopper

What a load of crap.  Not only do you charge huge amounts of money, you decide to change up our displays. My vision is not great.. that horrible black and dark blue make it impossible to read.  I guess I have to go to Telus. Disgusting

Not applicable

Please find the person that decided on this change and fire them.

jazzlikescats
Grasshopper

What an awful update! It's terribly hard to read the new menus, and almost impossible to see the colour bars that distinguish program types! This is the final straw, I'm cancelling cable and going full-streaming. I don't pay $100 a month for this garbage. 

0 Kudos

Not applicable

I got this from the announcement page for this update:

"New features and benefits"

"The new user interface features a sleeker, modern interface across all menus and the Guide."

"The overall navigation of the interface has not changed,"

"The one exception is users will now have to press OK to access menu items"

Ok, so Shaw has upgraded the overall experience, but all you did was change to moronic colors and added an extra step of pressing OK all the time now.  Is that a fair summary???  CAUSE I SURE THINK IT IS!!!  How is that in any way a New Feature or Benefit ?

What is going on a Shaw lately???  Since those massive layoffs this company has gone downhill significantly.  I'm an original @home user and my experience with Shaw in the last 6 months has been terrible.  I'm on my 4th gateway case the previous 3 installed hadn't been properly tested back at home base and the inexperienced installers that saw the problems in my house simply told me to wait a few days for updates to fix the issues they themselves seen while installing.  

What's even worse is the operators don't care.  Complaints go nowhere and so called free VOD gifts never materialize.  Its time for a BBB complaint.

0 Kudos

ggarnett
Grasshopper

I agree TOTALLY with the removal of colour coding in the guide.  It WAS very easy to quickly scan the guide for shows of a particular type (sports, movies) but now it is useless.  Colouring of the vertical bar at the end of the show title box does not help at all.   Please hit revert and give back the colour coded bars.  I'm going to check out telus, mabe they are more user friendly.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help