Re: Free Range TV not working on new phone

shaw-tamara

Hi  

If it's working when you use the Shaw modem but not when you add your own router, then it's likely something to do with the router. We don't support third party routers but perhaps someone else has had this issue and knows how to resolve it. What kind of router are you using?

0 Kudos

Not applicable

Chile:  See my comments above.  It is the router.  I use TekSavvy as my internet provider and had this problem.  They had to take control of the router and modified the ports being used and now I have no problem with accessing Shaw Free Range TV

0 Kudos

Not applicable

Hi coggyshaw-tamara‌. I have a linksys router.   Can you specifically tell me which ports they opened.  I added the iPad to the DMZ rules but it didn't seem to make a difference. 

0 Kudos

Not applicable

Hi chime!  I too have a linksys router WRT160N.  I am sorry I can’t help any further on this because I don’t know enough.  That’s why I was glad when TekSavvy took control to make these changes and I just watched.  I do know they were into the gaming part of the router.

0 Kudos

moviewach666
Grasshopper

Been having similar problem. Freerange would not work on my phone or tablet within internal WiFi network. Worked on any other network.  Weird!

Turns out my WiFi on my phone and tablet were configured to use free GOOGLE DNS 8.8.8.8.  Freerange does not like that DNS. Change device to use 1.1.1.1 for DNS and all works again.

Do search on Google to change DNS (mine were android devices) and that should solve the problem.

0 Kudos

rpighin
Grasshopper

going thru the same issue with Bell wifi.  Coggy sounds like his provider resolved issue.  I asked Shaw for ports that app uses, but haven't gotten anything back yet.  Will try calling Bell and having them remote the router to see what they can see.

- uninstalled/installed latest version of app
- android/ios app will not work when connected to wifi
- if I tether from a device it works fine
- if we use someone else's wifi it works fine
- PC webpage works fine on bell wifi
- all other streaming services work fine on wifi (NetFlix, Crave, CBC app, etc)
- I use Bell highspeed internet
0 Kudos

I'm not sure if this issue has been resolved for you but...

dcote
Grasshopper

I'm not sure if this issue has been resolved for you but it took me Months to figure out why mine was doing that. Shaw support told me 3 times that free range was not working which was not the case because my daughter could use it.   When I linked my Shaw account and my Shaw direct account online the Shaw account was the main account.  There is no tv on my Shaw account, just internet and phone, so it didn't recognize that I had a television subscription.  So I set my Shaw direct as the main account ( just a few clicks in your account settings) and logged in to free-range first try.  I hope that this is your problem too. easy fix!

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help