2.0 version of modem for internet

Bspoon
Grasshopper

Shaw is advertising a 2.0 version of the modem for wi-fi in the home, is this a free upgrade for existing Shaw customers?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

-- welcome to this peer-to-peer discussion forum. It is n...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Bspoon -- welcome to this peer-to-peer discussion forum. It is not a path to Shaw Support.

Short answer: NO. For any existing Shaw Internet customers, an upgrade to the XB7 is NOT free.

Shaw currently has a promotion for "new" customers -- 500 Mbit/second downloads with the new XB7 cable-modem.

Current Shaw customers with the 1000 Mbps or 1500 Mbps service were provided with the XB7 cable-modem.

Current Shaw customers with the 300 Mbps or 750 Mbps service were provided with the XB6 ("BlueCurve") cable-modem.

Legacy Shaw customers up to, and including 300 Mbps, were provided with the Hitron cable-modem.

I suppose that when Shaw can no longer supply Hitron devices, any "dead" Hitron would need to be replaced by the XB6 or the XB7.

I was just forced to upgrade because my original modem di...

tylerbmc
Grasshopper

I was just forced to upgrade because my original modem died.  So far I do not recommend.  Before I had excellent service and range from my original modem (black.  On this new 2.0 modem (white) my range seems to be slashed by more than half...

0 Kudos

They really should just have replaced your original modem...

rstra
Grand Master

@tylerbmc 

They really should just have replaced your original modem. If you signed up for a 2 year plan and it hasn’t been 10 days, maybe you could back out?

0 Kudos

Yah I agree. I am going to go back into Shaw today or tom...

tylerbmc
Grasshopper

Yah I agree. I am going to go back into Shaw today or tomorrow. After a quick search online it seems clear there are many issues with the xb7 vs the original xb6.

0 Kudos

-- which cable-modem died -- a Hitron or an XB6 ? Note th...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@tylerbmc -- which cable-modem died -- a Hitron or an XB6 ?

Note that Shaw customers who choose less than 300 Mbps service do not get the XB7 modem; they get either the XB6 or the Hitron.

Exception: brand-new Shaw customers who accept a "promotion" get 500 Mbps and the XB7.

So, that implies that you should be able to get an XB6, because Shaw still has some.

Is your WiFi device connecting to the 2.4 Ghz band (wide coverage) or the 5 Ghz band (stronger signal over a smaller volume) ? Can you force your device to band that you are NOT currently using? Better?

0 Kudos

The modem that died was the XB6.  It was a great modem -...

tylerbmc
Grasshopper

The modem that died was the XB6.  It was a great modem - I had no complaints. 

I went into Shaw on Sunday to get a replacement but they didn't have any.  I was told if I renew my 2 your contract they would upgrade me to the XB7/Better internet - otherwise I would need to wait several days for a Shaw service call to replace the XB6.  Because my wife and I work from home I opted for the newer modem and contract so we wouldn't be without internet.

I have not spent any time troubleshooting yet. I will take a closer look this evening to see if I can make any adjustments such as turning off band steering etc. Or if anyone has additional suggestions I should try?

0 Kudos

-- probably too late now, but if you did sign-up for a ne...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@tylerbmc -- probably too late now, but if you did sign-up for a new two-year term, with the XB7, you do have a few days to "cancel" the contract. Then what? It _might_ be possible to reactivate your previous two-year contract, and wait for the Shaw Technician to give you an XB6. When the XB6 is running, return the XB7, to avoid getting charged for "non-return".

Only the Shaw Agent can tell you if it is possible to reactivate your current plan.

Or, if you are really sneaky, open a second account with Shaw, claiming that you have a tenant in a suite in your home who wants their own Internet service.  Choose a lower speed, such that Shaw will supply an XB6 with that account. Then, when the Shaw technician arrives, tell them that you want to "swap" modems, so that the XB6 goes onto your account, and the XB7 goes onto the second account. Then, the next day, cancel the second account, and return the XB7.  This _might_ work -- no guarantee.

Still, it's not good "customer service" for Shaw to not supply you with a replacement XB6.  Sigh.

0 Kudos

Confirm your upgrade is fully provisioned. Have the tech...

rickatk
Master

@tylerbmc wrote:

The modem that died was the XB6.  It was a great modem - I had no complaints. 

I went into Shaw on Sunday to get a replacement but they didn't have any.  I was told if I renew my 2 your contract they would upgrade me to the XB7/Better internet - otherwise I would need to wait several days for a Shaw service call to replace the XB6.  Because my wife and I work from home I opted for the newer modem and contract so we wouldn't be without internet.

I have not spent any time troubleshooting yet. I will take a closer look this evening to see if I can make any adjustments such as turning off band steering etc. Or if anyone has additional suggestions I should try?

Confirm your upgrade is fully provisioned. Have the tech support check that. Often overlooked.

TALK TO US
We're here to help