Well I am elderly and not very computer savvy - I have ha...

kensw
Grasshopper

Well I am elderly and not very computer savvy - I have had a Shaw email account as long as there has been Shaw in my area - I do not remember what before that.

Just to be safe I have been trying to create a new alternate email I went with Gmail ( no reason just seemed most convenient ) It was very frustrating and took me over an hour but I seem to have gotten it to work. The thought of trying to switch over every account I have ever made to the new account makes me just want to go lie down - I am sure I do not even remember most of them. This is going to be Very trying on elderly people like me

0 Kudos

I wouldn’t be concerned, it would likely be months before...

rstra
Grand Master

@kensw 

I wouldn’t be concerned, it would likely be months before Shaw email was migrated to Rogers, if at all. It certainly won’t happen on June 1. I always believe it is a good idea to not use your ISPs email service, it makes it easier if you ever want to switch providers.

0 Kudos

-- The thought of trying to switch over every account I h...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@kensw -- The thought of trying to switch over every account I have ever made to the new account makes me just want to go lie down - I am sure I do not even remember most of them. This is going to be very trying on elderly people like me

Once you have confidence in using GMAIL, you can "forward" all E-mail addressed to your Shaw E-mail ID to your GMAIL ID.  Then, as messages arrive (monthly invoices, once-a-year correspondence from Canada Revenue Agency, intermittent messages from professionals such as bank managers, stockbrokers, medical doctors, charities, church newsletters, topical mailing-lists), you will be able to see that a received message was addressed to your Shaw ID, and you can update the sender, gradually, as they arrive, rather than trying to change all of them in one day.

I agree with @rstra -- there is no way that there are enough Shaw employees to be asked for help to "convert" every Shaw customer to complete any "conversion" in the next 2 months. 

Plus, Shaw will take a long time to retrain all its "call centre" employees to answer Rogers-related questions. Same for the "level two" network engineers. Same for the "Shaw Billing" department to move accounts into Rogers' billing-systems. 

A local university took five years to move from a "home-brew" integrated student-records/payroll  mainframe-based system to a "turn-key" package (think PeopleSoft or SCT Banner) that is based on distributed servers.  I would guess that the university has fewer "clients" than Shaw has customers.

Ever watched/imagined a ship with a cargo of bulk-oil try to make a major turn? Slow, slow, slow, and needing lots of room around  it.  Shaw will have a similar "steering" problem.

"Once you have confidence in using GMAIL, you can "forwar...

vicpamr
Grasshopper

"Once you have confidence in using GMAIL, you can "forward" all E-mail addressed to your Shaw E-mail ID to your GMAIL ID" 

mdk, can you tell me how to do this? I'm not super comfortable in gmail yet, but am getting there. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos

-- you can "forward" all E-mail addressed to your Shaw E-...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@vicpamr -- you can "forward" all E-mail addressed to your Shaw E-mail ID to your GMAIL ID" 

by logging-on to Shaw WebMail.

Click on "Preferences".

Click on "Mail".

Scroll-down to see: 

Receiving Messages

For "Message Arrival", enter your GMail ID.

Optionally, click "Remove local copy", to prevent your Shaw mailbox from overflowing your "quota" of space.

Click "Save".

Once Rogers buys Shaw, all email is going to be routed vi...

vicpamr
Grasshopper

Once Rogers buys Shaw, all email is going to be routed via Yahoo Mail. I'm not sure which is worse for data mining, Yahoo Mail or Gmail. I'd really prefer to use Outlook Mail, it's most like what I have now. 

0 Kudos

Hi Grand Master (gr8 moniker...btw)  Thanks for the usef...

mhm21
Grasshopper

Hi Grand Master (gr8 moniker...btw) 

Thanks for the useful tips. I'm curious though, if I set up my shaw em  to forward to my (new + proud)  gmail.. how will (or does) forwarding work?  if and when, as we anticipate, there comes a time in the not too distant future, when there  is no such thing as shaw email? I had assumed it would  just bounce back to sender "no such email account"; and be lost forever.

Hence, after setting up (and trying to learn gmail) I've being hard at work trying to notify.
First, those accounts for which my shaw em is my sign in - to change over to my gmail
YIKES... I'm calling this my alzheimer's prevention action... can you hear my brain cells screaming and stretching?)

Then, those other social and personal accounts with whom I wish to retain correspondence. 

But are you saying that I needn't do that... that I can just set up forwarding as you described; and that will suffice even after shaw email disappears.... that it will still  be able to function to "forward"? 

TYIA
Maggie

0 Kudos

-- after shaw email disappears ... that it will still  be...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@mhm21 -- after shaw email disappears ... that it will still  be able to function to "forward"? 

If Shaw Email truly "disappears", then "forwarding" will not work, because forwarding is a function on Shaw's Email servers.

If the Calgary Flames remove their goaltender, to add another forward, then any shots on the empty not will not be stopped by the (disappeared) goal-tender, and will not be "forwarded" to a Calgary defenceman, to continue the play.

P.S. It is not yet clear whether Rogers will help "migrate" all Shaw E-mail IDs to another provider, such as Yahoo Mail, or whether Rogers will allow the former customers of Shaw the freedom to choose some other E-mail provider (Outlook, Gmail, iCloud, other?) and will only publish instructions on how each customer will "move" their E-mail to that other provider. 

0 Kudos

Laughed at your comment ‘makes me just want to go lie dow...

Nmr3
Grasshopper
  • Laughed at your comment ‘makes me just want to go lie down’ - I totally feel the same way.  I’m gradually using a different email address but it is almost overwhelming the number of accounts and places I use the Shaw address that would need to be changed 🤦‍♀️
0 Kudos

-- ironically, anybody who has been using a "generic" ID,...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Nmr3 -- ironically, anybody who has been using a "generic" ID, namely "username@CanadaPost.ca" has been informed that Canada Post is shutting-down this "ISP-neutral" system.  That leaves IDs like "@yahoo.ca" or "@gmail.com" or "@hotmail.com" (and others) as the remaining mailboxes that are not associated with a company, such as "@telus.net" or "@shaw.ca".

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help