Jump to solution

Extending WiFi to my garage - from Gateway (Gen 2) modem (XB7)

jtergesen
Grasshopper

I get an inadequate WiFi signal to the semi-attached garage at my home from my Shaw Ignite WiFi Gateway (Gen 2) modem (XB7).  

It is easy for me to run a cat 6 cable to my garage through an existing conduit... so I was thinking I could just buy a second wifi router. 

Q: Can I add a second wifi router connected to the Ignite wifi Gateway modem.  And, can I use the same wifi network and password as in the main house?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

I would just add a wireless access point instead of tryin...

rstra
Grand Master

@jtergesen  I would just add a wireless access point instead of trying to manage another router. Run the network cable and connect a WAP.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Jump to solution

I would just add a wireless access point instead of tryin...

rstra
Grand Master

@jtergesen  I would just add a wireless access point instead of trying to manage another router. Run the network cable and connect a WAP.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Thanks...

jtergesen
Grasshopper

Thanks... 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- you may add a second WiFi router connected to the Igni...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@jtergesen -- you may add a second WiFi router connected to the Ignite Gateway modem. Connect the CAT 6 cable to one of the LAN ports on the cable-modem, and to the WAN port on your own router. 

You may use the same WiFi SSID and password, but I would not do so. While your device is in your garage, having a unique SSID means that your device will connect to the strongest -- and only -- WiFi network that is available within your garage.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Yes, pairing two routers can be a hassle.

wildxcat
Grasshopper

Yes, pairing two routers can be a hassle.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- adding a second router is only slightly more complicat...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@wildxcat -- adding a second router is only slightly more complicated than connecting another computer/device to the cable-modem.

1. CAT-6 Ethernet cable from a LAN port on the cable-modem to the WAN port on your own router.
  2. The cable-modem (XB6/XB7/XB8) will supply a "10.0.0.xxx" IP-address to the WAN port on your router.
  3. Your router will provide "192.168.xx.yyy" IP-addresses to the devices in your garage.
  4. Configure your router's WiFi with an SSID & a password.
  5. Done.

It gets really complicated if you want to print from any device in your garage to a printer connected (wired/wirelessly) inside your home, because the "garage" network is isolated from the "in-home" network. Much easier to "save as PDF" onto a memory-stick, and connect the stick to a computer inside your home, and print.

Similarly, it's complicated if you have WiFi-using cameras, if they try to connect to the "garage" network.

Jump to solution

Hello;  Thanks for this info.  I was able to get this wor...

CP91
Grasshopper

Hello;  Thanks for this info.  I was able to get this working after initial discussions.  Get tip on printer issues.

Updating to a Netgear (nighthawk AX3000) wi fi modem has helped a lot when connected to Shaw Arris XB7 in the bridge mode.  It is more reliable setup when downloading or upload conditions

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help