New Fibre 500 is slow only on wifi (bridge mode with Ubiquiti AC PRO Access Point)

StupFD
Grasshopper

I have been running Shaw 300mb regular internet for about 3 years. The modem is in bridge mode and wifi is via Ubiquiti Pro Access Point. Every speed test was consistently running about 325MB.

I have just upgraded to Fibre 500 this past week. When I connect my laptop directly to the modem via ethernet, speeds are about 530mb down and 120mb up so both above what I should be getting. As soon as I connect to WiFi, speeds are dropping to 50mb down and 45mb up. I have tried resetting my entire server - (1 Unifi Switch, 1 Unifi POE 250W & 1 Unifi Gateway Pro). 

Has anyone experienced something similar?

Labels (1)
5 Replies

-- As soon as I connect to WiFi, speeds are dropping to 5...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@StupFD -- As soon as I connect to WiFi, speeds are dropping to 50mb down and 45mb up.

You state that the Ethernet adapter is your laptop is fine -- running at 1000 Mbps/second, but the upgraded modem is "throttling" you to the 500/100 speeds that you are paying for.

But, what is the capability of the WiFi adapter inside your laptop, when you connect it directly to the new BlueCurve? NOTE: since you have "bridged" the BlueCurve, you must "unbridge" it, to re-activate its built-in WiFi adapter, before your laptop can connect via WiFi.

Wireless G, up to 56 Mbps?

Wireless N, up to 150 Mbps?

Wireless N with "bonding" of two channels, up to 300 Mbps?

Wireless AC, which some contributors on this forum report that Shaw limits to 433 Mbps, but is capable of 1200 Mbps?

Got a recent iPhone? When you run the Shaw SpeedTest while directly-connected via WiFi to your BlueCurve, what speed do you get?

0 Kudos

seems your services is fine. You are getting correct ethe...

rickatk
Master

@StupFD wrote:

I have been running Shaw 300mb regular internet for about 3 years. The modem is in bridge mode and wifi is via Ubiquiti Pro Access Point. Every speed test was consistently running about 325MB.

I have just upgraded to Fibre 500 this past week. When I connect my laptop directly to the modem via ethernet, speeds are about 530mb down and 120mb up so both above what I should be getting. As soon as I connect to WiFi, speeds are dropping to 50mb down and 45mb up. I have tried resetting my entire server - (1 Unifi Switch, 1 Unifi POE 250W & 1 Unifi Gateway Pro). 

Has anyone experienced something similar?

@StupFD seems your services is fine. You are getting correct ethernet speeds.

Your problem is with the wifi.  Try your connection with the Shaw wifi router running the show. Then troubleshoot from there. I suspect your problems is with the Ubiquity setup.

0 Kudos

I will have to do some trouble shooting on the Access Poi...

StupFD
Grasshopper

I will have to do some trouble shooting on the Access Point. It is capable of 450MB on 2.4GHz and 1300MB on 5GHz so there must be a setting incorrectly configured. Much appreciated!

0 Kudos

Thanks! I'll check my settings on my access point.

StupFD
Grasshopper

Thanks! I'll check my settings on my access point.

0 Kudos

-- the Access Point. It is capable of 450MB on 2.4GHz and...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@StupFD -- the Access Point. It is capable of 450MB on 2.4GHz and 1300MB on 5GHz

However, if you only have 500 Mbits (not MBytes) coming into the Shaw cable-modem, you will get "bursts" (at 1000 Mbps) coming into your Access Point. Compare to filling a cup from a dripping tap to filling it with the faucet opened up -- gravity always pulls each drop of water down at the same speed, but the spaces between drops means that it will take much longer to fill the cup. So, you get a 500 Mbit/second stream into your Access Point, and then "bursts" through that 1300 Mbits/second "pipe" to your WiFi-enabled device.

Expressed more briefly: if you measure throughput over that 1300 Mbps connection, you will see a "flow" of 500 Mbps/second. Compare to one car at the Indy 500 doing "time trials" -- very fast, but no other traffic on the speedway. If you are at the start/finish line, that one car speeds by, and then there is no more traffic going past you for 20 to 30 seconds.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help