I have the same issue with the dropdown list. Why would i...

manielli
Grasshopper

I have the same issue with the dropdown list. Why would it only allow the “online” devices when the gateway certainly isn’t capable of/doesn’t show all actual “online” devices? I have been trying to fix this for weeks now. Tried everything other than putting the gateway into bridge mode and use a third party router to handle port forwarding.

I have been told twice by Shaw representatives in the past year or so that port forwarding is no longer supported! (Where it still is).

You can not remove port forwarding support from an internet service!!! It’s like selling a car without tires. I’ll move this discussion to reddit so a wider audience can see it. 

-- I need to port forward the device to be able to view i...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@JKalra -- I need to port forward the device to be able to view in on our phones 

Are your phones connected via WiFi to the BlueCurve cable-modem? If so, then port-forwarding is not needed.

However, if your phones are "external" to your private network, you need to port-forward "incoming" traffic from the Internet to your surveillance camera system's "private" IP-address & port-number.

Compare to a person inside your home being able to "shout" to communicate with any other person inside the home -- no "routing" nor "forwarding" is needed, while a person outside of your home must be allowed to knock on the exterior front-door, and then be advised in which room that the person is currently present -- somebody must answer a knock on the front-door, and then route the visitor to the correct room.

0 Kudos

Hi, Thanks for reply. My phones are connected through WiF...

JKalra
Grasshopper

Hi,

Thanks for reply. My phones are connected through WiFi- but that is not the issue. 
The DVR where the surveillance camera is connected to is connected via an Ethernet cable to the BlueCurve modem and that is not visible to the BlueCurve device as it does not show up in the drop down list. 
We were trying to be able to see that DVR to port forward it to a standard address where our phones would also connect to for seeing surveillance video if we are not home. 
Regards,

Jatinder

0 Kudos

--  We were trying to be able to see that DVR to port for...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@JKalra --  We were trying to be able to see that DVR to port forward it to a standard address where our phones would also connect to for seeing surveillance video if we are not home. 

My phones are connected through WiFi,  but that is not the issue. 

How your phones connect _is_ the issue.

When your phones are connected via your private WiFi to your BlueCurve, and your DVR is connected via Ethernet to your BlueCurve, all these devices are on the same network, and "port-forwarding" is not needed. Inside your home, or inside your home network, you can communicate to any other person inside your home, and your devices can communicate.

Things change when your phones are "outside" your home network.  Your phones will need to connect to the "public" IP-address of your BlueCurve, and the traffic incoming to a specific "port" on your BlueCurve must be "forwarded" to the private IP-address of the DVR.

An easy way to find the "public" IP-address of your BlueCurve is to access the www.who.is website. It will display "your IP address is 50.51.52.53", or something similar.

Your DVR will have a "private" IP-address, e.g., "10.0.0.123", or something similar.

When you have a Windows PC inside your private network that is actively connected to the PVR, open a command-line prompt, and enter the command: netstat -a -n | find "EST"

to see output like:     TCP    10.0.0.23:62862     10.0.0.45:443       ESTABLISHED

This shows the IP-address of your Windows computer: 10.0.0.23 and the IP-address of your DVR: 10.0.0.45 and the "port-number": 443 of the service on the DVR.

Thus, inside the BlueCurve, you need to add port-forwarding for all incoming traffic (from the Internet) on port 443 to the 10.0.0.45 device.

> The DVR where the surveillance camera is connected to is connected via an Ethernet cable to the BlueCurve modem and that is not visible to the BlueCurve device as it does not show up in the drop down list. 

You should configure the BlueCurve's DHCP-server to "reserve" the IP-address of the DVR (10.0.0.45) so that the DVR _forever_ uses that IP-address.  When you have done this, does that drop-down list show this "reservation" ?

So, adding the port-forwarding should be done just by the "numbers" (IP address of the DVR, and port-number that the DVR is responding to).

Thanks a lot for that detailed reply! I have gone through...

JKalra
Grasshopper

Thanks a lot for that detailed reply! I have gone through and am at the point where I have the IP address and port number of the DVR.

I just need a little more instruction regarding the following:

You should configure the BlueCurve's DHCP-server to "reserve" the IP-address of the DVR (10.0.0.45) so that the DVR _forever_ uses that IP-address. When you have done this, does that drop-down list show this "reservation" ?

So, adding the port-forwarding should be done just by the "numbers" (IP address of the DVR, and port-number that the DVR is responding to).

How do I reserve the IP address? Should I expect to see the reservation in the drop down list after?

0 Kudos

Just go my bluecurve modem router and for me too port for...

Crunch1234
Grasshopper

Just go my bluecurve modem router and for me too port forwarding no longer works.  I can set it up through the app or the internet.shaw.ca portal that's just the same thing, and funny thing, is it worked for a few minutes..the port was open..now I can't get it to be.  The reserverd IP is 10.0.0.etc  I'm guessing it should be my public ip instead?  Am I missing something simple?

0 Kudos

-- The reserved IP is 10.0.0.etc I'm guessing it should...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Crunch1234 -- The reserved IP is 10.0.0.etc  I'm guessing it should be my public IP instead? 

No.  If some computer on the Internet wants to connect to one of the computers on your home network, they must specify the "public" IP-address of your Shaw cable-modem, and a TCP/IP "port" number. Then, a "forwarding rule" inside your cable-modem must direct that incoming traffic to the same port-number on one of your computers. Since you have a BlueCurve cable-modem, the "private" IP-addresses used on your network will start with "10.0.0.".

You do want to "reserve" one of your private range of IP-addresses, so that the device never changes its private IP-address, because the port-forwarding rule is "bound" to a never-changing private IP-address.

Compare to sending a birthday-card to somebody working in an office at an business that is renting space in an office tower. You cannot address the envelope simply to "room 234", unless you are using "inter-office mail" within the office tower. Instead, you must give the public address, e.g., 80 Wellington Street, Ottawa, ON, K1A 0A2 and "room 234".

0 Kudos

I have a Bluecureve modem and had port forwarding setup f...

Cchamber
Grasshopper

I have a Bluecureve modem and had port forwarding setup for about the last 11 month. All worked fine, until 3 days ago. I have made no changes to the modem since setup. Port forwarding no longer works, but I can see the correct port settings for the devices using both the internet.sahw.ca site and the Shaw home app. However, the app and website will not allow me to apply any changes to port forwarding settings. Keep getting the following error message when trying to apply the changes:

Error_Message2.png

It doesn't matter if I try to change a device connected by wire or wireless, I still get the same error. Like others, I phoned tech support and they said there was a warning in their hand book stating port forwarding was out of their scope of support. I asked if there was any higher level of support and the response was no. I don't understand why they would not support the equipment their customers rent for their services. Only thing their support suggested was to go to a Shaw store and talk to someone there.......don't feel like chasing my tail anymore 😞

Bottom line is port forwarding worked until a change Shaw made messed everything up and their tech support is not trained to fully support their equipment. Frustrating when you hit a brick wall with these big companies. We should get better support with the amount of money we pay for these services.

0 Kudos

I switched to Shaw because Telus disabled port forwarding...

StoppedByShâw
Grasshopper

I switched to Shaw because Telus disabled port forwarding, now Shaw is doing the same.

0 Kudos

that is certainly odd, I just accessed my BlueCurve modem...

shaw-tony

@Cchamber @StoppedByShâw that is certainly odd, I just accessed my BlueCurve modem and see options to add port forwarding functions. If the function errors out, you can always try a factory modem reset to bring it back.

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help