Requiring longer coaxial cord to move modem to opposite side of room

Damiandavid
Grasshopper

When initially moving into new unit, Shaw set-up in area asked by installation representative. However, decided to place entertainment hutch on opposite side of the room.

So, obviously I need a longer coaxial cable so that I can move modem to same side, needing a length cord 20-25'.

My question is cost of cord and cost of installation OR pickup of cord from a Shaw office OR would it be easier to move to access another coaxial outlet? 

Labels (1)
4 Replies

If there is a Shaw store nearby you can see if they have...

rstra
Grand Master

@Damiandavid If there is a Shaw store nearby you can see if they have cables that length. 

0 Kudos

If Shaw can't help... 25 feet coaxial cable $15 at Walmart

wynford
Grasshopper

If Shaw can't help... 25 feet coaxial cable $15 at Walmart

0 Kudos

For your internet modem, the location of it could affect...

withheld
Grasshopper

For your internet modem, the location of it could affect your WiFi connections (a central location is usually best) so you might want to consider that before moving it.  For wired connections, (game console in your entertainment hutch?) you could run a longer network cable from the modem to your device instead of moving the modem (may require multiple longer network cables if you have more than one device to connect).

As you suggest, if there is a path along the wall (no doorways etc. in the way)  a longer coax may be one solution to moving the modem - you can join two lengths together, but use a coupler, NOT a splitter for this.  Possibly the easiest.  I would expect Shaw to be able to give you one for no charge or a very minimal charge.  It may be faster to just go to the Shaw store if you are close instead of waiting on hold (online chat is often not too bad, either) - if you describe what you have (distances, etc) they may be able to give you a cable right there.

As to using another coax outlet, these might not all be "live" as making more than one "live" requires a splitter which cuts signal strength - so they may not have done this.  Some change like moving a connection or splitter may need to be done wherever the cable comes into your place.

If you also have a box for TV connected to coax, there will already be a coax splitter somewhere for that purpose.  Your best solution may depend on how this is set up.  Note that your TV box and internet modem do not have to be in the same location, especially if you have a TV box that connects via WiFi instead of wire.

0 Kudos

If you buy some or get a used piece from somebody, make s...

withheld
Grasshopper

If you buy some or get a used piece from somebody, make sure it says 75 Ohm, not 50 Ohm on it (not all that likely, but possible).

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help