I can only tell you what works for me consistently. disab...

langley834721
Grasshopper

I can only tell you what works for me consistently.

disable bridge > speeds are gigabit

enable bridge and switch LAN cable to router during the 90s? displayed on the screen > modem re-boots and gigabit speeds retained via router and attached equipment....

Just to confirm, this has nothing to do with the router. Even if I leave the PC directly connected to the modem LAN in bridge mode a modem re-boot in bridge mode will reduce the speeds to ~630Mbps....

0 Kudos

I stopped bridging my Shaw modem/router a while ago. As w...

rickatk
Master

@langley834721 wrote:

I can only tell you what works for me consistently.

disable bridge > speeds are gigabit

enable bridge and switch LAN cable to router during the 90s? displayed on the screen > modem re-boots and gigabit speeds retained via router and attached equipment....

I stopped bridging my Shaw modem/router a while ago. As well I rent my gear. For me renting works. Nice to hear XB7 is around the corner as is Docsis 4. Not too sure if I will need such an upgrade. My home network is running well. All devices are connected over wifi even the TV terminals. Thanks to the Gigiabit service everything is running smoothly. I don't have a lot of specific needs around upload so higher upload speeds not a big deal. As a consumer I am pretty happy with how Shaw’s Fibre Gig service is playing out. If I do feel the urge to upgrade my gear at least I know I can just return the old stuff. That all works for me.  

I stopped bridging my Shaw modem/router a while ago. As w...

langley834721
Grasshopper

Kudos to Shaw chat service, they are sending out a replacement modem, they said they have no impact on what gets send out, they can request Arris but they are not sure if it will be selected.
Generally I heard that there were more issues with Arris XB6 modems in the past?

Arris XB6 has the Intel Puma 7 chipset which should have...

LKYeLKYe
Grasshopper

Arris XB6 has the Intel Puma 7 chipset which should have less problem compare to prior Puma 6.
Fan is annoying though.

0 Kudos

We will see what make they will issue and then we will co...

langley834721
Grasshopper

We will see what make (Arris / Technicolor) they will issue and then we will continue 🙂

0 Kudos

I've been having issues ever since upgrading to gigabit a...

mark250
Grasshopper

I've been having issues ever since upgrading to gigabit and was sent a Technicolor XB6 modem.  For the first little while it was ok but I was not able to achieve any speeds above 900Mbps.  I bridged my modem initially as well but the problems started after my first power-cycle of the device.  Since that power-cycle on average I would achieve only 300-500Mbps Speedtests and noticeable packet loss.

After reading this thread I thought I'd try switching from bridged mode to gateway mode to see if this would help.  When I did this I lost internet connection, my gateway is offline according to internet.shaw.ca, and even with a direct connection to the modem I couldn't connect to 10.0.0.1.  I contacted Shaw chat this morning and after numerous provisions as well as a couple factory resets of the modem none of my devices would be able to connect to the internet nor 10.0.0.1.  As a last ditch effort I suggested we put the modem immediately into bridge mode after one final factory reset which worked.  Unfortunately my speeds are still only 300-500Mbps.  In the end the agent and I came to the agreement that my modem needed to be replaced so another one is on its way.  Let's hope this new modem is OK.

Here's my cable modem info in case anybody is curious:

HW Version:  2.2
Vendor:  Technicolor
BOOT Version:  S1TC-3.49.18.14
Core Version:  1.0
Model:  CGM4140COM
Product Type:  XB6
Flash Part:  8192 MB
Download Version:  Prod_18.1_d31 & Prod_18.1

My new (second) replacement modem is on the way, will get...

langley834721
Grasshopper

My new (second) replacement modem is on the way, will get it today and will report findings later...
I am almost inclined to think that its not the modem but something is wrong on Shaws backend?

I had Gigabit )~940Mbps) in Bridge mode till early this morning... when the router indicated ISP DHCP trouble.
After that the speeds are consistenly at max 640Mbps...
There is no speed difference in my case if I wire the Ethernet cable directly to the modem or via my router...
Also I had trouble accessing the modem GUI via 10.0.0.1 a while ago in bridge mode, then it was accessible again all of a sudden...

Router log:

Jun 21 03:54:12 WAN Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.
Jun 21 03:54:12 DualWAN: skip single wan wan_led_control - WANRED off
Jun 21 03:54:12 nat: apply redirect rules
Jun 21 03:54:16 WAN Connection: Ethernet link down.
Jun 21 03:55:08 WAN Connection: Ethernet link up.

0 Kudos

Apparently the Technicolour modem is the go to modem goin...

rickatk
Master

@langley834721 wrote:

Kudos to Shaw chat service, they are sending out a replacement modem, they said they have no impact on what gets send out, they can request Arris but they are not sure if it will be selected.
Generally I heard that there were more issues with Arris XB6 modems in the past?

Apparently the Technicolour modem is the go to modem going forward, says a Shaw tech I spoke with. 

So I got another replacement modem (Technicolor), this on...

langley834721
Grasshopper

So I got another replacement modem (Technicolor), this one looks new, not refurbished?
Started it up, full Gigabit, put in bridge mode still Gigabit, connected router and checked speeds via PC, wired via CAT 6 and still Gigabit.
Then the modem power cycled on its own ~10min after setting everything up > Speeds now at ~630Mbps.
At that point I was prepared to give up. Also seeing 5 hidden SSID's broadcasting from the modem MAC address (checked with inSSIDer). Three on 2.4GHz and two on 5 GHz. According to Shaw that is not possible because I put the modem in bridge mode so this should not happen... The hidden ones were broadcasting at high signal strenghts ~ -29 dBm even higher than my own Asus RT-AC86U router....

So chatting in with Shaw and got a great agent. Remotely reset the modem, disabled bridge mode > Now Gigabit speeds again.
Said to simply set DHCP lease time to a couple days (forever) and turn off modem Wi-Fi and then connect the router. > Still great Gigabit speeds via router now. But now DDNS not working on my router due to double NAT.....

Then the agent enabled bridge remotely and all of a sudden the five (5) hidden high strength SSID's disapeared and the speed is still up. Ping ~8ms, DL ~930Mbps, UL ~27Mbps

To be honest I don't know why/how, all I know there must be an issue on Shaw's end with Gigabit and the XB6 modems in bridge mode.
My router is OK and made no difference at all. Not using splitters, incomming coax goes straight to modem, nothing else connected to that coax...

Its working for me now so I need to let this go...can become all consuming 🙂

Interesting!  The commonality between our two support req...

mark250
Grasshopper

Interesting!  The commonality between our two support requests is that Shaw enabled bridge mode on their end.  The last couple of days for me were stellar <<knock on wood>>; no packet loss, no drops, and speeds above 900Mbps/25Mbps.

I am still waiting for my new modem .  Once the new modem is hooked up I will go straight for Shaw-enabled bridge mode and stop tinkering as well, heheh.

TALK TO US
We're here to help