Slow speed with gigabit hub

klepape
Grasshopper

I just received a new Blue Curve modem as the previous one began dropping connections. The new modem works well so far but is slower on the wired connection to the TV through the Linksys gigabit 5 port hub. With the previous modem I would get 95mbps through the hub to the TV (TV has a 10/100 card). With the replacement modem it's down to 35mbps. If I connect the modem directly to the TV I get 95. So why did the old modem have no issue/slowdown with the hub but the new one does? I believe the old modem was an Arris (had it for 2 years) and the new one is the other mfr...

Labels (1)
4 Replies

> With the replacement modem [going through your Linksys...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> With the replacement modem [going through your Linksys hub] it's down to 35mbps.

How many other devices are connected to that hub? If you disconnect all those other devices, and re-measure, what speed do you get?

Note that a "hub" broadcasts every packet to every connected Ethernet adapter. It's the duty of each Ethernet adapter in each computer to recognize that a specific packet was not addressed to this computer, and just "ignore" the packet, i.e., "eavesdrop, but tune out that conversation in the next room in your home".  This is different from a "switch", which routes each packet only to the intended destination.

> If I connect the modem directly to the TV I get 95.

If you use an Ethernet cable to connect a computer to your Linksys, and make it the only connected device, and re-measure, what do you get? Reconnect one other device, turn that device on, and re-measure, using your computer, to see if there is any change. Reconnect one more device, turn that device on, re-measure, and compare results. Reconnect your TV, turn it on, re-measure, and compare results.

0 Kudos

How many other devices are connected to that hub? If you...

klepape
Grasshopper

How many other devices are connected to that hub? If you disconnect all those other devices, and re-measure, what speed do you get?

Sorry, my bad: it's a switch, a Linksys SE3005 specifically.

The only devices connected are the TV and AVR. If I connect a laptop via wire I get 250mbps at this time, goes up and down a bit during the day/night. Makes no difference if I test speed with the TV and/or AVR connected or not.

I just verified once again: TV speed (Netflix) is 35mbps through the Linksys switch, 95mbps if connect directly to the modem. I need the second ethernet port for my shop so I don't want to use it for the TV permanently. And... I know that 35mbps is sufficient for 4K video streaming so it's not that the connection through the switch is a problem... it's really just a mystery... and I'd like to know why...

0 Kudos

> 95mbps if connect directly to the modem. Hmm. 95 mbps...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

>  95mbps if connect directly to the modem.

Hmm. 95 mbps is close to the maximum speed of a "CAT-5" Ethernet cable -- certified to 100 mbps. Use a "CAT-5E" (certified to 1000 mbps) Ethernet cable or a "CAT-6" (even faster) Ethernet cable.

Or, maybe, the Ethernet adapter inside your TV is 10/100, not 10/100/1000 ???

Do the lamps beside the Ethernet sockets on your HITRON show "green" for 100 mbps, or "orange" for 1000 mbps, when the TV is directly connected to the HITRON? (Or, same question for the Ethernet ports on your switch.)

Can you confirm which model of modem you have? I see your...

rstra
Grand Master

Can you confirm which model of modem you have? I see your original post mentions you are on BlueCurve, but someone else has replied and mentioned Hitron. 

TALK TO US
We're here to help